Violence which erupted in Tshwane, following the announcement of African National Congress' mayoral candidates for the 2016 municipal elections, has given rise to political tensions.
Below is a list of the candidates named for the regions in Gauteng province:
- Parks Tau (Johannesburg Metro)
- Thoko Didiza (Tshwane Metro)
- Mwandile Masina (Ekurhuleni Metro)
- Peace Mabe (Mogale City Local Municipality)
- Boyce Maneli (West Rand District Municipality)
- Simon Mofokeng (Emfuleni Local Municipality)
- Busisiwe Modisakeng (Sedibeng District Municipality)
- Lerato Maloka (Leasedi Local Municipality)
- Tefo Stefans Molakeng (Midvaal Local Municipality)
702's John Robbie spoke to EWN senior reporter, Stephen Grootes, as he takes a look at developments since the announcement.
Listen to the conversation below:
I'm surprised it's happened in Tshwane. I'm not entirely surprised that it's happening at all because we've seen it happen in KZN before.— Stephen Grootes, EWN reporter
What it tells the ANC once again is that since 2007, and you could argue before that, is that you still have to manage the loser and that hasn't happened.— Stephen Grootes, EWN reporter