702 logo Gradients 702 logo Gradients
Late Night Talk

Up Next: Early Breakfast
Late Night Talk

What does funny-man Marc Lottering fear (and love, and hope for…) about money?

19 December 2016 7:48 PM
Every week The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews a famous person about her or his attitude to money. Enter Marc Lottering…

My first memory of money was giving a 10th of it to church. I never saw money as a worldly thing.

Marc Lottering

My father thought for many years that he was in charge of the budget.

Marc Lottering

My father worked extra hours to help pay my university fees.

Marc Lottering

After the Sauvignon Blanc kicks in I pay for people I don’t even like!

Marc Lottering

Every week The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews a famous person about her or his attitude to money (hopes and fears, successes and failures, etc.) as part of his weekly “Make Money Mondays” feature.

This week Whitfield interviewed stand-up comedian Marc Lottering.

Listen to the hilariously informative interview below (and/or scroll down for more quotes from it).

The first time I walked on stage I was 30 years old.

Marc Lottering

Academically, I was not fabulous at all.

Marc Lottering

I was an usher at the Baxter Theatre when I was a student at UCT.

Marc Lottering

I’m a very sweet boy! I have a lovely fragrance about me!

Marc Lottering

We weren’t rich, but we never lacked anything.

Marc Lottering

There was never a discussion about money; it was never an issue.

Marc Lottering

My first bank account was with my first job in 1987.

Marc Lottering

I had glamourous ideas about life. I knew I had to be amazing.

Marc Lottering

On my 30th birthday – after three tequilas – was the beginnings of what I do now.

Marc Lottering

In 2000 I bought my folks a house... I foolishly sold it after they passed on.

Marc Lottering

My apartment in town has been a good investment.

Marc Lottering

Unfortunately, my partner is very on us being grownups now. I’ve now got a pension, insurance… all sorts of things that makes me feel like an adult.

Marc Lottering

You’ve got to keep writing, because that’s what brings in the money as a comedian.

Marc Lottering

Click here (then“like” the page) to follow Bruce on Facebook.

Enter your email address in the form below to receive a newsletter containing the most-read articles of the week from Bruce Whitfield’s The Money Show every Friday morning in your inbox.

Article brought to us by Old Mutual.

This article first appeared on CapeTalk : What does funny-man Marc Lottering fear (and love, and hope for…) about money?

19 December 2016 7:48 PM

More from Make Money Mondays

e-zktkxn-400x400jpg

PJ Powers on lockdown and money

11 May 2020 8:32 PM

The woman who made us sing and dance and laugh and feel with Jabulani, talks lockdown and money tonight.

Nataniël

'My most precious possession is a collection of letters from my grandmother'

20 April 2020 8:15 PM

Bruce Whitfield interviews Afrikaner icon Nataniël about his attitude to money (hopes and fears, successes and failures, etc.).

160204Jan-HendrikvanderWest.jpg

Michelin star chef Jan Hendrik van der Westhuizen shares his money recipe

9 March 2020 8:32 PM

In 2016, he became the first SA chef to receive a Michelin star after opening his restaurant in Nice, France called JAN.

947 Breakfast Club - Tsogo Sun Sunbreaks Summer Getaway - John Smit

Rugby legend John Smit on how he does not drop the finance ball

24 February 2020 8:29 PM

Rugby legend John Smit opens up about money and career changes.

130408jackparow.jpg

Jack Parow talks money, honey

17 February 2020 8:43 PM

Jack Parow tells The Money Show how he runs his finances cooler than you.

download-6jpg

SuzelleDIY on how to DIY money matters

27 January 2020 8:39 PM

She loves ''braaing, dinner parties and DIY...and to go out for a koffie with my best friend Marianne''.

1530282457-34-mm-b-2017png

TV anchor Macfarlane Moleli talks money

20 January 2020 8:22 PM

Macfarlane Moleli tells The Money Show how he structures his life and sets goals.

Motshidisi Mohono, sports anchor. Twitter

Sports anchor Motshidisi Mohono shares her money game plan

13 January 2020 8:31 PM

Motshidisi Mohono is one of the leading women sports reporters in South Africa. The Money Show asked her how she makes sure she’s top of her game with her money matters.

Image- Twitter

How to make, and keep money - actress Mapaseka Koetle-Nyokong shares secrets

6 January 2020 8:11 PM

It's time for Make Money Mondays. Actress Mapaseka Koetle-Nyokong shares some stories of how she makes and spends her money.

Thapelo Mokoena Quinn

Thapelo Mokoena (Quinn) talks about money and literally being born under a tree

27 November 2019 2:57 PM

The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews Mokoena about his attitude to money (hopes and fears, successes and failures, etc.).

More from Evergreen Content

islandjpeg

How to save and buy an island (you need only R2000 per month)

15 October 2019 3:36 PM

Saving money on boring stuff such as a car can allow you to do really outrageous and courageous stuff, says Sam Beckbessinger.

Marketing

Marketing is becoming the single most important key to success in small business

2 August 2019 2:30 PM

'Marketing' is not 'sales'. It’s not noise. It's a science, and you must get it right, says Pavlo Phitidis.

Kahn Morbee

Kahn Morbee (real name 'Dingaan') of The Parlotones opens up about his money

1 August 2019 8:20 PM

The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews Morbee about his attitude to money (hopes and fears, successes and failures, etc.).

Flower

How to build a resilient small business

30 July 2019 8:12 PM

Small business guru Pavlo Phitidis on the basics of building a resilient business. He gives clear guidelines for getting it right.

Four cousins Van Loveren

Story of Van Loveren Vineyards and 'Four Cousins', SA's top-selling bottled wine

29 July 2019 8:28 PM

Bruce Whitfield interviews Phillip Retief, CEO at Van Loveren Vineyards, the origin of the SA's top-selling wine, "Four Cousins".

darren-whackhead-simpsonjpg

Going broke scares me, because I've been there - Darren 'Whackhead' Simpson

25 July 2019 6:26 PM

Bruce Whitfield interviews Darren ‘Whackhead’ Simpson about his attitude to money (hopes and fears, successes and failures, etc.).

Bruce Fordyce

Bruce Fordyce – one of South Africa’s all-time greats - bares his soul

24 July 2019 7:53 PM

The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews athlete about his attitude to money (hopes and fears, successes and failures, etc.).

Spaza shop

Foreigners rule informal trading (outcompeting even Shoprite). Consumers win!

10 July 2019 7:01 PM

About 20% of every rand spent in South Africa goes to informal stores, mostly foreign-run. GG Alcock on his book “KasiNomics".

Adri Williams Khayelitsha Cookies

Adri Williams - Ubuntu personified - saved Khayelitsha Cookies and changed lives

9 July 2019 6:30 PM

Bruce Whitfield interviews Williams about her transformative business delivering quality cookies to hotels and Pick n Pay.

Hourglass cash money

How to escape the tyranny of 'project-based revenues'

7 May 2019 6:08 PM

The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews small business guru Pavlo Phitidis, founder of Aurik Business Accelerator.