Miner workers and police clashed on the day after wage negotiations.
In a statement released on Sunday, President Jacob Zuma said the Department of Mineral Resources, SA Police Services (SAPS), Department of Labour and Department of Justice and Correctional Services will take action in accordance with the Farlam Commission of Inquiry.
702's Africa Melane (standing in for John Robbie) spoke to police minister spokesperson, Sandile Ngidi on what the implications are for the victims and their families.
The department is also embroiled in a R1 billion lawsuit with those affected by the tragedy which was expected to be settled out of court earlier this year.
The SAPS is implementing some of the Farlam recommendations to try expedite the process of realising a more people-friendly and human rights centered police service.— Sandile Ngidi, Minister Nathi Nhleko's spokesperson
Listen to the interview below:
Meanwhile, Police and Prison Civil Right Union (POPCRU) said it would be irresponsible to hold suspended national police commissioner, Riah Phiyega, solely responsible for the unfolding of events as it was an operational matter.
The national police commissioner was just two months in the job, she was not supposed to be the one who was supposed to answer.— Zizamele Cebekhulu, POPCRU president
Listen to the full interview below: