It's important for parents to support their children as they begin a new academic year.
Family therapist and clinical social worker Talya Ressel says it is always a new start for young ones.
Ressel says parents need to work on creating a positive experience for their children and help manage the anxiety around this time.
She warns against imposing their own past experiences on children or dismissing their fears.
- ask your child how they are feeling
- acknowledge the anxiety or stress
- help set some goals
- help problem solve, where warranted
- model a positive expectation
- let children learn and develop skills themselves
- be a team with your child's teachers
Take a listen to her tips:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : How to support your kids as they head back to school