SABC inquiry hears journalist Suna Venter was shot in face with air rifle
It now wants a response from Police Minister Nathi Nhleko on what is being done to prevent threats and intimidation against journalists at the public broadcaster.
The Democratic Alliance’s Phumzile van Damme has told Members of Parliament (MPs) she was alerted about the incident by Venter, who was shot at while driving her car in January this year.
After sending out the above post in which she states the incident took place in November, Venter has since tweeted that she made an error and that the incident actually took place in January.
Dear all, the shooting incident reported this week occurred in January 2017, not November 2016. My own typo in letter to CP. #SABCinquiry— Suna Venter (@sunav) January 27, 2017
The incident is the latest in a string of incidents aimed at Venter and other members of the so-called SABC 8 journalists, who have taken a stand against censorship at the public broadcaster.
The committee raised the issue with police last year.
MPs have slammed the latest incident and now want Nhleko to spell out how far the police investigation has come.
Parliament’s inquiry into the SABC will be writing an urgent letter to the minister asking for an update on the police investigation into threats and intimidation targeting SABC journalists.
The committee tasked with the probe also wants a face-to-face meeting with Nhleko.
It’s emerged that Venter this week underwent surgery on the wound sustained in January.
Two pellets from an air rifle were removed.
Venter is one of the so-called SABC 8 who challenged censorship at the broadcaster.
Some of them last year received death threats, mysterious break-ins, tampering with their vehicles and other incidents.
Inquiry chairperson Vincent Smith says: "At this merit that should we write the letter, the letter at least gets delivered urgently. The interaction with the minister, of course, depends on availability, so we will do both. We will write the letter and propose the meeting. I am sure the minister will be here next week when we have the state of the nation so we will try and do both."
(Edited by Shimoney Regter)
This article first appeared on EWN : SABC inquiry hears journalist Suna Venter was shot in face with air rifle
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
Today marks 64 years since the heroic 1956 Women’s March to the Union Buildings against draconian pass laws and their impact on women.Read More
There were 36,607 new tests conducted. The number of tests conducted to date is 3.220,265 with 535,188 confirmed cases.Read More
According to a statement from his family, the 91-year-old veteran politician is currently self-isolating at home and remains asymptomatic.Read More
National Consumer Commission director of prosecutions Joseph Selolo says you can't be naive or claim to be duped.Read More
Baroka and Bloem Celtic will be part of South African football history when they play the first professional game of football in the country since the COVID-19 lockdown began.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
The justice minister says three bills aimed at eradicating gender-based violence are making their way to Parliament.Read More
Premier David Makhura said that the unit has also identified enablers of corruption in the provincial health department.Read More