ConCourt wants answers from Dlamini on Sassa saga

JOHANNESBURG - The Constitutional Court has now requested Social Development Minister Bathabile Dlamini to account for the controversy surrounding the payout of social grants.

Earlier this week Cash Paymaster Services (CPS) and South Africa Social Security Agency (Sassa) both confirmed that verbal consensus had been reached for a new contract, however, no deal has been signed yet due to ongoing negotiations.

CPS said it would finalise the conditions of its contract with its lawyers on Monday and it would be up to Sassa to close the deal.

In court papers the Constitutional Court rejects Dlamini's decision to withdraw her department's application last week to explain its progress in appointing a new service provider.

The court goes on to say that Dlamini must provide answers on when she first became aware that Sassa would not be able to pay out grants to over 17 million beneficiaries.

It's also demanding clarity on whether the minister has entered into any agreement with CPS in relation to grants for next month.

Earlier this week Dlamini reiterated that pay outs would go ahead on time without providing details of how.

The court has given the minister until next week to account.

Read the Constitutional Court ruling below:

ConCourt Social Grants by Primedia Broadcasting on Scribd

In 2014 the Constitutional Court ruled the existing contract between the two parties was invalid, leaving uncertainty around grant payments for next month.

The confusion has sparked concerns around whether 17 million South Africans will receive their social grants.

WATCH: Dlamini again promises that grants will be paid on 1 April

(Edited by Shimoney Regter)


This article first appeared on EWN : ConCourt wants answers from Dlamini on Sassa saga


Recommended

by NEWSROOM AI
Read More
Ramaphosa declares special official funeral for Richard Maponya

Ramaphosa declares special official funeral for Richard Maponya

His funeral service will take place in Soweto where the distinguished entrepreneur built his legacy.

Matric class of 2019 in league of its own: Motshekga

Matric class of 2019 in league of its own: Motshekga

Minister Motshekga met with the country’s top 30 performers in the national senior certificate exams at Vodaworld in Midrand earlier on Tuesday.

Despite living alone during his matric year, Fortune Khoza excelled

Despite living alone during his matric year, Fortune Khoza excelled

The Basic Education Department on Tuesday praised the young man for his determination to succeed.

Motshekga hails commitment & hard work of SA's top matriculants

Motshekga hails commitment & hard work of SA's top matriculants

Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga congratulated the class of 2019's top 30 matriculants for continuing to inspire confidence in the country's public education system.

Convicted racist Vicki Momberg loses bid to appeal sentence

Convicted racist Vicki Momberg loses bid to appeal sentence

Vicki Momberg was found guilty on four counts of crimen injuria for racially abusing a police officer in 2016.

Thousands stranded as bus drivers go on strike

Thousands stranded as bus drivers go on strike

Satawu's Solomon Mahlangu says the strike will affect several short and long distance bus services across the country.

Popular articles
No life jackets found at Nyati Bush and Riverbreak where Enoch drowned - police

No life jackets found at Nyati Bush and Riverbreak where Enoch drowned - police

North West police spokesperson Colonel Adéle Myburgh says an initial autopsy on Enoch Mpianzi was conducted this morning.

Meet Whitey Basson (the retail guru who turned Shoprite into a R127bn behemoth)

Meet Whitey Basson (the retail guru who turned Shoprite into a R127bn behemoth)

The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews the former CEO of Africa’s largest retailer by far.