The City's plan to first reblock the entire fire-affected area in Imizamo Yethu has been unsuccessful as some residents are far advanced in rebuilding their homes.
Cape Town mayor Patricia de Lille is seeking an urgent interdict to stop people rebuilding in the area.
Alderman JP Smith, Mayoral Committee Member for Safety and security and Social Services, says the reblocking process was due to start on Monday.
Unfortunately, there are already structures erected where the reblocking should take place.
Smith says those that residents who have begun erecting structures are putting up 'super structures' which will inhibit others from finding space to build their homes.
Some of those building are doing so for the purpose of renting out.— JP Smith, Mayco Member for Safety and Security
Some structures might face demolition because they are taking up space that previously belonged to other people, says Smith.
Clearly that's not what we want to do, nobody feels like that kind of a fight.— JP Smith, Mayco Member for Safety and Security
Engagements with the community members, especially those that have started rebuilding, have been going on since Monday night, according to Smith.
To hear more about the challenges facing rebuilding in Imizamo Yethu, listen below: