Homes Affairs spokesman Mayihlome Tshwete speaks to 702's Gugs Mhlungu about his experiences after spending a day working at country's busiest port of entry, Johannesburg's OR Tambo International Airport.
When I was there I was able to communicate to my colleagues and began to share some of the stories they deal with on day to day basis.— Mayihlome Tshwete, Home Affairs Spokesperson
Tshwete says sometimes people forget the type of things that take place at our port of entry. He says there are people travelling with fraudulent documents or travelling with children without consent.
He spoke about an incident where a man was prevented from leaving the country with three children without consent from their parents.
Home Affairs is currently investigating this man. So far it is established that his travelling documents are fraudulent.
Tshwete says they are looking at conducting DNA tests to find out if this man is really the father of these three children.
As the authority we are trying to find out what level of prosecution is going to be taken against those involved.— Mayihlome Tshwete, Home Affairs Spokesperson
We have just stopped a man from attempting to leave the country with 2 kids without the 2 mothers permission , mothers allegedly unaware— Vukile (@MTshwete) March 29, 2017
Tshwete says Minister of Home Affairs will be at OR Tambo International Airport looking into some of the incidents faced by officials on daily basis.
To hear more on this discussion, listen below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Home Affairs pulling out all stops to clamp down on illegal immigration