The SA Communist Party (SACP) believes there was a gunman at the annual Chris Hani wreath-laying ceremony on Monday.
SACP deputy general-secretary Solly Mapaila believes that the alleged firearm was aimed at him during the memorial.
It's clear that it was either to intimidate or shoot at me when I was speaking on behalf of the SACP.— Solly Mapaila, SACP deputy general-secretary
Mapaila says the SACP will open a criminal case with the police and claims there was an orchestrated plot to disrupt Monday's memorial.
People have come forward with information regarding the intention to disrupt that programme.— Solly Mapaila, SACP deputy general-secretary
ANC supporters booed Mapaila on Monday and left the memorial when President Jacob Zuma dashed after speaking.
Last week, Mapaila had made it known that he planned to use the occasion to reiterate the SACP's call for Zuma to step down.
He says that Zuma detractors often face threats and intimidation for expressing their divergent views.
We have always lived with the threat and I think when you take a position that differs from the President of the Republic, it's not an easy thing... People who do so are intimidated.— Solly Mapaila, SACP deputy general-secretary
He explains that a fellow SACP member had altered him to suspicious footage captured in a clip posted by a journalist online.
The clip was taken by one of the journalists who was there, covering the booing by the crowd when I was going to speak.... One of our comrades saw the clip and altered us.— Solly Mapaila, SACP deputy general-secretary
WATCH: A clip posted by News24 shows the suspected gunman
Mapaila says the incident won't stop him from performing his duties and maintains that the threats are not new.
Take a listen to Solly Mapaila explain with Eusebius McKaiser:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : SACP to open case after suspected gunman caught on camera at Hani memorial