The Department of Basic Education has confirmed that over 27 000 Limpopo pupils were unable to attend school on Tuesday following a renewed shut down in Vuwani.
The Department of Basic Education says this is worrisome.— Pelane Phakgadi, EWN reporter
EWN's Pelane Phakgadi reports that almost 2 000 matriculants have been affected by the latest demonstrations led by the pro-Makhado task team.
Basic Education spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga says if the shut down exceeds a month, it will cost the department millions in catch-up programmes, Phakgadi explains.
Residents are demanding that the Municipal Demarcation Board redetermines boundaries in the area.
Last year, 30 schools were either burnt or vandalised when residents embarked on a 4-month long protest over the same issue.
Community members in Vuwani have vowed not to back down until their grievances over unresolved demarcation issues are dealt with.
Take a listen to the EWN update:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Over 27 000 pupils blocked from attending school amid renewed Vuwani shutdown