Energy Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi concedes that her predecessors and peers have not been forthright about the plans for nuclear build programme.
There are things that government could have done right, which we have done wrong.— Mmamoloko Kubayi, Minister of Energy
The issue of transparency and openness in what we are doing should be improved. We acknowledge that we maybe are not communicating enough.— Mmamoloko Kubayi, Minister of Energy
She delivered her department’s budget vote earlier on Friday.
The energy department's budget is R8.1 billion.
Kubayi confirmed that South Africa will start from scratch with the proposed nuclear build programme and her department will have to change the misconceptions and mistrust held by many citizens.
She also says that South Africa will re-negotiate its nuclear inter-governmental agreements with South Africa, the United States, France and China next month.
Kubayi maintains that there would be public engagements on matters related to nuclear in the country
Last month, the Western Cape High Court found government's decision to call for proposals for the procurement of 9.6 gigawatts of nuclear energy is unlawful and unconstitutional.
She says her appointment has been a learning curve and reflected on how she's been preparing as well as her concerns with the court ruling.
Take a listen to her explain: