Security service provider, Bryan Pope, says too many South Africans are in the dark about how the security systems work in their homes. He says when there is load shedding, households need to be extra vigilant of their alarm systems, as homes often become more vulnerable to theft and criminal targeting.
It is a concern. A lot of people don't know about their security systems and they need to learn more. Security starts at home and you need to be ready and concerned.
7 tips for keeping your security system on during power outages, according to Pope:
1. Have a back up battery in your alarm system.
2. Check that the back up battery has sufficient capacity to remain on.
3. Consider investing in the 17 amp hour battery. According to Pope, these batteries may last much longer.
4. Check that your alarm system's control panel is capable of charging the battery.
5. Consider placing two batteries in parallel or, alternatively, investing in solar batteries or Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) batteries.
6. Investigate and compare the cost of these batteries to establish the option that best works for your budget.
7. Consult with your security service provider on if this will not jeopardise the security system settings in place.
Listen to the full conversation on CapeTalk's Breakfast with Kieno Kammies: