On Tuesday the South African National Editors Forum (Sanef) applied for an interdict against Andile Mngxitama and Black First Land First (BLF) for intimidating, harassing, and assaulting journalists and editors.
The BLF has released a list of journalists it is targeting, most of them who have been reporting on state capture.
The organisation protested outside the house of editor of Tiso Blackstar media group, Peter Bruce, last week.
Sanef chairperson, Mahlatse Gallens, says this is a very difficult time for journalists and they are trying to show that this is an orchestrated move against journalists.
Campaigns have been orchestrated to try and silence journalists.— Mahlatse Gallens, Sanef chairperson
It is important that we start taking action. We are here to uphold the rule of law and to protect the Constitution.— Mahlatse Gallens, Sanef chairperson
This is not just about journalists but about South African democracy because media freedom is key in the Constitution.— Mahlatse Gallens, Sanef chairperson
The judge declared the case to be urgent and shall hand down a judgment on Friday at 12pm.
She says they have encouraged journalists who have been attacked in the past to go and lay charges, saying that these crimes against journalists need to be dealt with.
To hear more of this interview, listen below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : BLF urgent interdict judgment on journo assaults to be handed down midday Friday