Transport Minister Joe Maswanganyi on Sunday announced that the planned taxi strike in Gauteng has been called off following deliberations with the taxi associations.
Last month thousands of commuters found themselves with no means to get to work or school when the taxi operators embarked on a strike after complaining about high repayment rates for their vehicles.
Speaking to 702's Xolani Gwala, Maswaganyi says government has committed to intervening in assisting the taxi associations with the challenges that they are facing. In turn, the association Santaco has also promised not to embark on any strike action.
The main problem is not government but the financial institutions that are charging them exorbitant interest rates to refinance the loans that they get from these institutions.— Joe Maswanganyi, Minister of Transport
Maswaganyi says the issue of subsidising taxi operators has been discussed with the associations and will be taken to Cabinet for further deliberations.
He emphasises that the financial institutions should not be charging operators 28% interest rate but rather a normal premium.
It should not only be the responsibility of government to empower taxis ... Government and private sector should work very hard to empower our people.— Joe Maswanganyi, Minister of Transport
According to Minister Maswaganyi, government will have taken a decision on the issue of subsidising taxis by March 2018.
To hear more of this interview, listen below: