Grant distribution negotiations with Sapo still hanging after Magwaza's exit
CEO of South African Post (Sapo) Mark Barnes says he welcomes the appointment of the new interim CEO of South African Social Security Agency (Sassa), Pearl Bhengu.
Bhengu was Sassa's KwaZulu-Natal regional executive manager.
The post office has been in negotiations with the former Sassa CEO Thokozani Magwaza about using its banking infrastructure to distribute grants to 17 million social grant beneficiaries when the contract with Net1 ends.
Barnes says since the booting of Magwaza he hasn't heard anything from Sassa, saying the new CEO should be given a chance to settle in.
He says he heard media reports that the Minister of Social Development Bathabile Dlamini has endorsed and is in support of the approach to work with Sapo to distribute grants.
I am encouraged by the possibilities of two state organs working together...Mark Barnes, CEO of SA Post Office
Barnes acknowledges that South Africa might have lost hope in the Post Office due to years of bad experiences but says it is time it's put to the test again.
He says the post office has extraordinary under utilised banking transaction capacity and infrastructure that needs to be put to good use.
We would like to see the financial independence of the state because that releases capital for things that need urgent attention.Mark Barnes, CEO of SA Post Office
To hear more of this interview, listen below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Grant distribution negotiations with Sapo still hanging after Magwaza's exit
PayGas CEO Philippe Hoeblich says it is ideal to operate from petrol filling stations as they are within a walking distance.Read More
Given the national lockdown restrictions on public gatherings, this year’s national day has been televised and celebrated virtually with president Ramaphosa delivering his address remotely.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
Today marks 64 years since the heroic 1956 Women’s March to the Union Buildings against draconian pass laws and their impact on women.Read More
There were 36,607 new tests conducted. The number of tests conducted to date is 3.220,265 with 535,188 confirmed cases.Read More
According to a statement from his family, the 91-year-old veteran politician is currently self-isolating at home and remains asymptomatic.Read More
National Consumer Commission director of prosecutions Joseph Selolo says you can't be naive or claim to be duped.Read More
Baroka and Bloem Celtic will be part of South African football history when they play the first professional game of football in the country since the COVID-19 lockdown began.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More