Safety deposit box victims considering legal action against FNB

A group of First National Bank (FNB) clients who've been affected by safety deposit box heists say they are weighing up their options and receiving legal council.

Victims are unhappy with the bank's settlement offers for their losses of valuable items, says the group's Kelly Fraser.

Fraser explains that she represents about 200 affected victims, who have lost a combined R230 million in goods.

They lost family heirlooms, cash, coin collections and other valuables in one of three recent safety deposit box heists.

It's the banks responsibility to pay attention to detail and safety, our group alone has R230 million worth of valuables.

Kelly Fraser, representative for FNB safety deposit box heists victims

Fraser says FNB's offers are not fair for all affected victims and appear to be capped at a certain percentage.

She says the group is prepared for "the good, bad and ugly" and will consider its options to decide on the way forward.

If the settlement was goodwill, it would be fair and equal across the board.

Kelly Fraser, representative for FNB safety deposit box heists victims

Meanwhile, FNB executive Lee-Anne van Zyl says the bank is not obligated to pay compensation because of clauses in the terms and conditions which were signed by clients.

However, van Zyl says FNB has made ex gratia settlement offers ranging from 0% to 80% of the claims.

We have 44 clients who simply could not substantiate what they had in their boxes.

Lee-Anne van Zyl, CEO of FNB Points of Presence

The bank began e-mailing the heist victims on Monday.

Van Zyl says that FNB has assessed all the claims submitted by victims through prudent internal and external processes in order to calculate compensation.

No matter what we offer as a goodwill gesture, it will never be able to replace what has been lost.

Lee-Anne van Zyl, CEO of FNB Points of Presence

She maintains that both the bank and its clients were victims of a criminal act.

Three FNB employees were also suspended and others dismissed , in connection with a heist at the Park Town branch.

FNB has since discontinued the safety deposit box service.

Take a listen:


This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Safety deposit box victims considering legal action against FNB


Recommended

by NEWSROOM AI
Read More
Hiding inside the 'dark web' - the horrors of child pornography

Hiding inside the 'dark web' - the horrors of child pornography

Expert says says child pornography has the effect of re-abusing the victim because it always exists online.

Thousands expected to march in support of Zuma

Thousands expected to march in support of Zuma

Supporters of the former president are expected to march to the Durban High Court on Friday.

NPA to pursue Zuma prosecution

NPA to pursue Zuma prosecution

NPA boss Shaun Abrahams announced on Friday that the state will reinstate fraud and corruption charges against Jacob Zuma.

Consumers making fewer cash withdrawals from ATMs - FNB

Consumers making fewer cash withdrawals from ATMs - FNB

According to FNB people are making fewer cash withdrawals at ATMs and instead opt to use point of sale devices.

FNB still mum on the heist while a second branch gets hit

FNB still mum on the heist while a second branch gets hit

Hawks are investigating a second FNB robbery in Joburg, meanwhile, those affected have set up ‘FNB Heist Victims’ Facebook group.

Hawks: At least 250 safety deposit boxes stolen in FNB heist

Hawks: At least 250 safety deposit boxes stolen in FNB heist

The Hawks say there hasn’t been any breakthrough yet into last week's heist at FNB's Randburg branch.

Popular articles
Feasibility study for Gautrain expansion completed but no approval yet

Feasibility study for Gautrain expansion completed but no approval yet

MEC for Transport Ismail Vadi says the feasibility study has been submitted to Treasury for consideration and formal approval.

Magashule has never taken responsibility for anything says Mxolisi Dukwana

Magashule has never taken responsibility for anything says Mxolisi Dukwana

Dukwana accuses Magasshule of taking him to Saxonwold and asking him to sign a project over to the Guptas for R2 million a month.

Judge in Omotoso case dismisses defence application to recuse himself

Judge in Omotoso case dismisses defence application to recuse himself

Judge Mandela Makaula has dismissed the defence application saying it has no merit.

Lebelo's lawyer refuses to give evidence at Nugent Commission

Lebelo's lawyer refuses to give evidence at Nugent Commission

EWN Reporter Barry Bateman gives the latest on what is happening at the Nugent Commission of Inquiry into Sars.

'As long as I'm mayor, I'm not going to sit back and watch criminals take over'

'As long as I'm mayor, I'm not going to sit back and watch criminals take over'

City of Johannesburg Executive Mayor Herman Mashaba says criminals cannot be allowed to threaten service delivery in the city.

[Watch] SA choir stuns with isiZulu cover of Ed Sheeran’s ‘Shape of You’

[Watch] SA choir stuns with isiZulu cover of Ed Sheeran’s ‘Shape of You’

Khabazela shares some of the most popular tweets, posts, and videos on 'What's gone Viral'.