There are a number of blockades taking place across Johannesburg and Pretoria on Tuesday morning.
It is not yet clear if the protests are linked to calls by opposition parties calling for members of the public to bring the country to a standstill.
Roads have been blocked in large parts of Soweto and many roads in townships in Pretoria have also been closed off.
The Johannesburg Metro Police Department (JMPD)’s Edna Mamonyane says her metro is particularly affected.
She says JMPD officers are clearing the rubble from the roads.
For Mamonyane’s full interview on affected roads, click here.
- In Protea Glen (on the N12, R559 as well as R558), in Dobsonville (on Main Road and Elias Motsoaledi) in Diepkloof (on the Soweto Highway, Immink and Chris Hani), in as well as in Jabulani (on Koma Road and Legwale) there is protest action – reports of Rea Vaya, Metrobus and Putco Buses not running
- In Southgate on Rifle Range
- In the Honeydew – Zandspruit are on Beyers Naude
- In Everton on the Golden Highway
- In Braamfontein on Bertha Street as well as Jorissen
- In Booysens on Booysens Road (Rocks and burning tyres)
- In Rossetenville several roads have been blocked with rocks and burning tyres
- In Kagiso on Themba Drive
- In Etwatwa (Benoni)
- In Tembisa around Straight-line and main line
- There is protest action in Mamelodi, Atteridgeville, Soshanguve as well as in Olivenhoutbosch (affecting the R55)