If those billboards weren't on there, would the bridge have stood asks DA Cllr
Five people were reported with injuries after a pedestrian bridge collapsed along the N3 Geldenhuys Interchange in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
Emergency services say the pedestrian bridge collapse may have been caused by an earth tremor recorded in the area.
Democratic Alliance (DA) spokesperson for outdoor advertising in Ekurhuleni and ward councillor, Heather Hart says the collapse of the bridge is shocking and hopes those injured don't succumb to their injuries.
Hart goes on to say that councillors in the area have warned the Ekurhuleni Metro about placing enormous billboards on pedestrian bridges on numerous occasions.
I'm pretty sure those bridges were well constructed but they were never designed to carry the weight of a billboard and in some cases two billboards.Heather Hart, Democratic Alliance (DA) ward councillor and spokesperson for outdoor advertising in Ekurhuleni
The road bridges weren't designed to take billboards either.Heather Hart, Democratic Alliance (DA) ward councillor and spokesperson for outdoor advertising in Ekurhuleni
While i say, there was a tremor, i felt it and that could have been one of the main causes of the collapse but one has to say, if those billboards weren't on there, would the bridge have stood asks Hart. She goes on to say the billboards are extremely heavy with enormous metal frames, adding that they probably weigh a ton.
Hart says, incidentally, the billboards have been put up without SANRAL's permission.
Listen to the full interview in the clip below:
PayGas CEO Philippe Hoeblich says it is ideal to operate from petrol filling stations as they are within a walking distance.Read More
Given the national lockdown restrictions on public gatherings, this year’s national day has been televised and celebrated virtually with president Ramaphosa delivering his address remotely.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
Today marks 64 years since the heroic 1956 Women’s March to the Union Buildings against draconian pass laws and their impact on women.Read More
There were 36,607 new tests conducted. The number of tests conducted to date is 3.220,265 with 535,188 confirmed cases.Read More
According to a statement from his family, the 91-year-old veteran politician is currently self-isolating at home and remains asymptomatic.Read More
National Consumer Commission director of prosecutions Joseph Selolo says you can't be naive or claim to be duped.Read More
Baroka and Bloem Celtic will be part of South African football history when they play the first professional game of football in the country since the COVID-19 lockdown began.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More