"Crowds outside court wanted a look at the men believed to be cannibals"

Natal Witness journalist Chelsea Pieterse in Pietermaritzburg has an update on the case that has shocked South Africans.

It is a very controversial story and has the community very upset obviously, and covering it has been draining.

Chelsea Pieterse, journalist, Natal Witness

She says people have come to tell her they have family members missing and they are not sure if it has anything to do with the case.

The five suspects arrested for suspected cannibalism in KwaZulu-Natal appeared in the Estcourt Magistrate's Court on Monday, where they abandoned their bail application.

I believe they abandoned their bail application because of the anger they were facing from the community. there was a very large crowd outside the magistrate's court with video cameras saying they wanted to see these men for themselves.

Chelsea Pieterse, journalist, Natal Witness

The case was postponed to 28 September.

The charges against them include murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

One of the suspects handed himself over to police last week, telling them he was tired of eating human flesh.

He led police to a house where they allegedly discovered human body parts, implicating the other four.

It is still unclear how many people may have eaten human flesh.

At this stage, the charge is for the murder of one person with five suspects involved.

Chelsea Pieterse, journalist, Natal Witness

Listen to the report below from journalist Chelsea Pieterse:


Recommended

by THE NEWSROOM

702 welcomes all comments that are constructive, contribute to discussions in a meaningful manner and take stories forward.

However, we will NOT condone the following:

  • Racism (including offensive comments based on ethnicity and nationality)
  • Sexism
  • Homophobia
  • Religious intolerance
  • Cyber bullying
  • Hate speech
  • Derogatory language
  • Comments inciting violence.

We ask that your comments remain relevant to the articles they appear on and do not include general banter or conversation as this dilutes the effectiveness of the comments section.

We strive to make the 702 community a safe and welcoming space for all.

702 reserves the right to: 1) remove any comments that do not follow the above guidelines; and, 2) ban users who repeatedly infringe the rules.

Should you find any comments upsetting or offensive you can also flag them and we will assess it against our guidelines.

702 is constantly reviewing its comments policy in order to create an environment conducive to constructive conversations.

Read More
New fast bowling sensation Lungi Ngidi, SA's boy next door

New fast bowling sensation Lungi Ngidi, SA's boy next door

The Proteas' fast bowling star Lungi Ngidi is the man of the moment after he took six wickets as SA beat India in the second Test.

Cable theft device may be solution to scupper rampant theft in SA

Cable theft device may be solution to scupper rampant theft in SA

Inventor of the Securi-Cable Barry Geer explains the systems and devices developed to prevent rampant cable theft in SA.

Cape Town's alleged underworld extortionist charged with murder

Cape Town's alleged underworld extortionist charged with murder

Details of Nafiz Modack and Jaques Cronje's involvement in the stabbing of a bouncer at Cubana in Green Point have emerged in court.

DA starting to look more like ANC as factional battle unravels, says  Haffajee

DA starting to look more like ANC as factional battle unravels, says Haffajee

Mmusi Maimane has his work cut out for him trying to repair DA's reputation ahead of the 2019 elections, says Ferial Haffajee.

Chris Maroleng not SABC COO until Cabinet seals the deal

Chris Maroleng not SABC COO until Cabinet seals the deal

In a statement, the Communications Minister explains that the appointment of SABC executives must go through a Cabinet processes.

'CT city manager submitted resignation instead of reasons to keep job on Friday'

'CT city manager submitted resignation instead of reasons to keep job on Friday'

Cape Town city manager Achmat Ebrahim has resigned after more than 10 years at the helm amid misconduct allegations.

Popular articles
Signal jammers and other devices confiscated at China Mall

Signal jammers and other devices confiscated at China Mall

Several communications devices were confiscated from businesses in a raid by Icasa at China Mall on Wednesday.

Trump confirms his first visit to Africa

Trump confirms his first visit to Africa

United States President Donald Trump has disclosed his first stop on an African visit.

Former Body Beat TV host Dr Phil Joffe catches up with Afternoon Drive team

Former Body Beat TV host Dr Phil Joffe catches up with Afternoon Drive team

Dr Phil Joffe presented SABC's famous Good Morning South Africa breakfast show for ten years, from 1989- 1998.

'The university degree is dead'

'The university degree is dead'

Flux Trends founder Dion Chang gives five reasons why he believes getting a degree is past its sell by date.

3 easy questions could bag you R2000!

3 easy questions could bag you R2000!

WIN R2000! But only if you can prove you're a whiz of the MTN Biz Quiz by answering the following three questions...

5 ways the NSFAS funding model will change in 2017

5 ways the NSFAS funding model will change in 2017

The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) will pilot a new funding model in 2017. NSFAS chairperson Sizwe Nxasana explains.