We are hiring: Sports reporter and online writer
STATION - PRIMEDIA BROADCASTING BRANCH - Johannesburg DEPARTMENT - Eyewitness News REPORT TO - Sports Editor
- Degree in Journalism, Media or Communications (or suitable substitute)
- Driver’s Licence
- Excellent grasp of English (both written and spoken)
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Ability to work unsupervised
- Strong news and current affairs knowledge
- The ability to produce a well-rounded and full sports stories (pictures, headline, relevant multimedia attached.)
- Ability to edit written copy clearly and accurately
- Ability to write a match report, with a quick turnaround time.
- Understanding the central journalistic principles (objectivity, balance, right of reply, etc.)
- Attention to detail and facts is a must
- A keen understanding of social networking platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram etc)
- Ability to learn quickly
- Knowledge and understanding of digital editing
- Good voice for radio
- Good interviewing skills
- Good news sense
- Min two years as a journalist/reporter or sub-editor
- Good communicator
- Able to take direction easily
- Able to work independently and within a team and show initiative
- Responsible, reliable, proactive, resilient
- Passionate about broadcasting trends, on air and online
- Passionate about news, sport and social media
- Ability to work under pressure professionally
- Ability to work long hours and some weekends
- Writing and uploading sports stories onto the EWN website
- Editing sports stories written for radio bulletins and making sure they are grammatically and factually correct before uploading onto the website.
- Monitoring sports news wire service to ensure the EWN website has the latest local and international sports news.
- Monitoring picture services to ensure each story has appropriate images.
- Ensuring multimedia content is attached to appropriate and relevant stories.
- Liaising with radio news anchors, producers and presenters about sports content on the website, and the promotion thereof on air.
- Maintaining EWN’s social media offerings.
- Any other tasks assigned by the editor or anyone else appointed by the company.
- Cover sporting events and cut audio for various shows (live matches, training sessions etc)
- Present sports bulletins, if needed
- Keep the EWN Sport Twitter feed going
Send your detailed CV to Broadcastingcv2@primedia.co.za with the Subject Line Sports Reporter and Online Writer. The closing date for applications is 22nd September 2017.
WSuitable candidates will be selected in accordance with Primedia Broadcasting’s Employment Equity Policy. Correspondence will only be conducted with short listed candidates. Should you not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful