The Western Cape taxi strike that caused chaos across the city on Monday has been called off following a meeting with the Western Cape Transport MEC, Donald Grant.
Taxi owners were aggrieved by the South African National Taxi Council (Santaco) leadership in the province as well as the impounding of taxis.
As a result, two buses were torched, shops looted‚ law enforcement officials attacked and cars damaged as community members pelted them with stones.
Deputy chairperson at Santaco Western Cape, Nazzen Abdurahman, says the taxi association is heading to the polls to elect its new leadership in November and members that were previously suspended are now causing havoc using the streets to display their concerns.
Every meeting we are having is disrupted by these members because they do not want to adhere to the constitution of Santaco, they want to be an island of their own and we cannot have members that are disrespectful toward the structure.— Nazzen Abdurahman, Deputy chairperson at Santaco WC
We use the boardroom to resolve our problems we never use the streets to display anger or concerns.— Nazzen Abdurahman, Deputy chairperson at Santaco WC
Abdurahman says they will continue engaging their members and encourage them not to take their concerns out in public spaces.
He says the MEC of Transport has been appointed as a mediator to help resolve the issues within the association.
That taxi permit doesn't give you the right to display acts of violence we are bound by law that every taxi owner needs to abide to. If people are going to display their anger and take it to the streets they should be dealt with.— Nazzen Abdurahman, Deputy chairperson at Santaco WC
We will definitely map a way forward that is conducive for everybody ...— Nazzen Abdurahman, Deputy chairperson at Santaco WC
To hear the rest of the interview, listen below: