Expert says organic carbon content in the Karoo is overcooked
In March this year Mineral Resources Minister Mosebenzi Zwane announced that the government had given the go-ahead for shale gas development in the Karoo region.
In a speech, Zwane said "Based on the balance of available scientific evidence, government took a decision to proceed with the development of shale gas in the Karoo formation of South Africa".
At the time the department estimated that up to 50 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of shale gas was recoverable in the Karoo Basin, especially in the Eastern, Northern, and Western Cape provinces.
It now turns out that there is almost 40 times less shale gas in the Karoo than previously thought.
Prof Michiel de Kock, head of Geology, University of Johannesburg says the resource estimations have been decreasing over the years and are based on the organic carbon content of the shales and not on any gas measurements in the Karoo.
A study in 2011 estimated 485 trillion cubic feet. The same people who did the study again in 2013 revised these figures to 390 trillion cubic feet.Prof Michiel de Kock, head of Geology, University of Johannesburg
All of these are estimations.Prof Michiel de Kock, head of Geology, University of Johannesburg
Our study found the organic carbon content in the Karoo is overcooked explains De Kock. He goes on to say this means the gas and oil have been released but they weren't preserved well and have overheated.
A realistic estimate of there being gas in these areas would amount to 13 trillion cubit feet, which is still a big resource.Prof Michiel de Kock, head of Geology, University of Johannesburg
To hear the rest of the interview, listen below:
PayGas CEO Philippe Hoeblich says it is ideal to operate from petrol filling stations as they are within a walking distance.Read More
Given the national lockdown restrictions on public gatherings, this year’s national day has been televised and celebrated virtually with president Ramaphosa delivering his address remotely.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
Today marks 64 years since the heroic 1956 Women’s March to the Union Buildings against draconian pass laws and their impact on women.Read More
There were 36,607 new tests conducted. The number of tests conducted to date is 3.220,265 with 535,188 confirmed cases.Read More
According to a statement from his family, the 91-year-old veteran politician is currently self-isolating at home and remains asymptomatic.Read More
National Consumer Commission director of prosecutions Joseph Selolo says you can't be naive or claim to be duped.Read More
Baroka and Bloem Celtic will be part of South African football history when they play the first professional game of football in the country since the COVID-19 lockdown began.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More