The African National Congress (ANC) Eastern Cape made news headlines after a brawl broke out overnight which left several delegates injured many of whom had to be hospitalised.
The violence reportedly broke out between supporters of the two front-runners for the position of provincial chairperson Phumulo Masualle and Oscar Mabuyane in East London.
An urgent application by some disgruntled party members to have the event nullified was struck off the roll earlier on Monday says EWN reporter, Clement Manyathela who was covering the conference. He says it is understood that those who lost are considering appealing the ruling.
It has now become a numbers game and not necessarily about what is rationale.— Clement Manyathela, EWN reporter
I think it's fair to say everything in the ANC between now and December happens has everything to do with the forthcoming elective conference.— Clement Manyathela, EWN reporter
Manyathela says while speaking to a presidential candidate, he was told as things stand and if it were up to him, they would rather have the elective conference not sit.
They don't think the party is united enough to hold the conference and emerge united. The possibility of a split is at its highest. The possibility that you have disgruntled members taking on those who will win are high. The credibility of the conference is already being questioned.— Clement Manyathela, EWN reporter
Listen to the full EWN report in the audio clip below: