NCR to probe credit provider charging Sassa beneficiaries interest on loans
A leaflet which offers loans at 20% interest for the first two months and 25% thereafter to Sassa beneficiaries has been making the rounds in the Bishop Lavis area.
According to this leaflet, the credit provider requires an ID document, three months bank statements, two months payslip or Sassa statement as well as proof of address.
Manager for Registrations at National Credit Regulator (NCR), Zolile Mngqundaniso, confirmed that the credit provider is registered with their department as of September 2017 but they were not aware of the way they conduct business.
He says that the interest rate offered by this credit provider contravenes the National Credit Act.
Definitely the way they advertise and the interest rate they are charging is in contravention of the Act. The Act is specific and there are caps on the interest rate which is 5% per month and subsequent loan that follows is only 3% per month in that current calendar year.Zolile Mngqundaniso, Manager for Registrations at NCR
Mngqundaniso says the matter will be referred to their investigation department to conduct a thorough investigation in the matter.
If indeed a contravention of the law is established, the matter will be passed on to the Tribunal who will then make a decision whether to de-register the entity.
All this probing should follow proper processes and the tribunal will make a decision whether the credit provider must refund all those consumers or completely close down.Zolile Mngqundaniso, Manager for Registrations at NCR
To hear more of this interview, listen below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : NCR to probe credit provider charging Sassa beneficiaries interest on loans
PayGas CEO Philippe Hoeblich says it is ideal to operate from petrol filling stations as they are within a walking distance.Read More
Given the national lockdown restrictions on public gatherings, this year’s national day has been televised and celebrated virtually with president Ramaphosa delivering his address remotely.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
Today marks 64 years since the heroic 1956 Women’s March to the Union Buildings against draconian pass laws and their impact on women.Read More
There were 36,607 new tests conducted. The number of tests conducted to date is 3.220,265 with 535,188 confirmed cases.Read More
According to a statement from his family, the 91-year-old veteran politician is currently self-isolating at home and remains asymptomatic.Read More
National Consumer Commission director of prosecutions Joseph Selolo says you can't be naive or claim to be duped.Read More
Baroka and Bloem Celtic will be part of South African football history when they play the first professional game of football in the country since the COVID-19 lockdown began.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More