Former Health MEC Mahlangu may be subpoenaed to testify in Life Esidimeni case
118 psychiatric patients died after being moved from the Life Esidimeni facilities last year.
The Gauteng Health Department official who headed up the Esidimeni project says he’s learned from the tragedy and should have stood his ground in his disagreements with former Gauteng MEC for Health Qedani Mahlangu.
The arbitration process between the state and families of the victims of the Life Esidimeni tragedy continued on Thursday.
EWN reporter Masego Rahlaga, says State witness Levy Mosenogi, the Gauteng Health Department Chief Director of planning, policy and research, completed his testimony on Thursday morning.
Rahlaga says Mosenogi delivered a very emotive apology, bringing tears to the family members.
The Director General of the National Health Department has also taken the stand and she also unreservedly apologised. At some point, she had to wipe the tears from her eyes. She kept saying that they failed and wanted to apologise to the families of the victims.Masego Rahlaga, EWN reporter
Her testimony was basically about the recommendations from the health ombudsman released in February.Masego Rahlaga, EWN reporter
Rahlaga reports that the National Health Department's Director-General Precious Matsoso said that the health department in Gauteng failed to inform the national health department of their plans to shut the Esidimeni facility.
According to the law, former health MEC has to be subpoenaed because so many people have cast blame on her including the health ombudsman.Masego Rahlaga, EWN reporter
She has been blamed by Mosenogi and Matsoso adds Rahlaga, who believe the department's actions were very negligent.
There are too many questions being asked and those questions are all directed at her. Mahlangu is presently not in the country but i think the retired deputy Chief Justice, Dikgang Moseneke will be forced to subpoena her to force her to answer these tough questions.Masego Rahlaga, EWN reporter
For the full Esidimeni interview, listen to the clip below:
There were 34,696 tests since the previous report, bringing the total to 820,675.Read More
Fifth-year medical student Sibusiso Qongqo died in Havana on 29 April.Read More
Director Miranda Jordan expresses her frustration with the justice system.Read More
Education MEC Kwazi Mshengu's spokesperson Kwazi Mthethwa told Joanne Joseph on Afternoon Drive that an investigation was ongoing.Read More
Business Insider Inc associate editor Phillip de Wet has the details.Read More
ECD owners of South Africa co-founder Jenny De Kock says they are worried about what happens to children when they are left alone.Read More
Mountain Club of SA president Greg Moseley says they must pay R25,000 to get the masks released by customs.Read More
Minister in the Presidency Jackson Mthembu said that government would appeal the North Gauteng High Court ruling and said that this appeal must be heard on an urgent basis.Read More
Okae Molao is an operation that seeks to ensure that shoppers and business owners adhere to lockdown regulations.Read More
Gauteng police commissioner lieutenant-general Elias Mawela says people in Tshwane are not observing lockdown regulations.Read More