Of the 141 deaths at Life Esidimeni only 26 postmortems were done - reporter
It has been a week of high emotions at the Life Esidimeni hearings in Johannesburg. Mentally ill patients died after being transported to NGOs.
The arbitration hearing is looking for answers to this tragedy.
EWN reporter, Masego Rahlaga has been following the proceedings this week. She reports that the number of deaths has increased from the numbers released initially.
When former Gauteng Health MEC, Qedani Mahlangu announced that there were deaths in the provincial legislature, she said there were 36 deaths.Masego Rahlaga, EWN reporter
Rahlaga adds that following Mahlangu death pronouncements, the Health Ombudsman announced earlier this year, and again this week during the hearings, that the death toll numbers differed.
By October last year, the number has risen to 82. Then earlier this year we found out from the Health Ombudsman in his report that he actually flagged 94 silent deaths.Masego Rahlaga, EWN reporter
Rahlaga goes on to say this week, the Ombudsman said the number of fatalities stood at 118 and now the Gauteng Department's acting HOD has confirmed that the death toll is now at 141.
Of this 141, 23 died after he had concluded his investigation which is why he wasn't aware of the 23 additional deaths, explains Rahlaga.
On Friday morning, Dr Kenoshi took the stand. He gave updates on how far the criminal cases are. Remember there are between 35 and 76 inquiries that the South African Police Services (Saps) are investigating along with the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA).Masego Rahlaga, EWN reporter
She adds that the cases were brought by families of the victims. Rahlaga goes on to say Dr. Kenoshi also spoke on what the health department has done so far in terms of implementing the Health Ombudsman's recommendations.
Rahlaga reports that only 26 postmortems have been performed out of the 141 deaths. She explains that Dr. Kenoshi said these few postmortems were only conducted after the health ombudsman released his report.
Family members are still saying the person that should be proving answers is Qedani Mahlangu.Masego Rahlaga, EWN reporter
Listen to the full interview in the audio clip below:
The Gauteng executive council will be meeting on Saturday to discuss details around its COVID-19 response.Read More
Prof Zeblon Vilakazi has been appointed as the vice-chancellor and principal of Wits University with effect from January 1 2021.Read More
Iain Williamson’s appointment ends over a year of uncertainty over who will lead one of the country’s biggest insurers following the abrupt dismissal of former CEO Peter Moyo in June 2019 after a conflict of interest dispute.Read More
The organisation had argued that the ban should be overturned on the basis that tobacco products were addictive and therefore should be declared essential.Read More
Albi Modise captures the story about the talk radio station that started at midday on 28 June 1980.Read More
Stellenbosch University's Prof Wayne Derman is part of a team that has developed the tool to help event organisers.Read More
The utility said this was part of its efforts to avoid overloading in high-density areas.Read More
On Thursday, the state capture inquiry heard details about how Lucky Montana bought property allegedly through a shell company while he was the head of the state-owned company.Read More
Premier David Makhura announced on Thursday that Gauteng has been hit by the COVID-19 storm.Read More
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize announced on Thursday that the number of national recoveries so far is 81,999.Read More