The Gauteng Education Department says 44 parents and learners have so far finalised their evidence in the sexual abuse probe involving a Soweto school.
It has emerged that over 80 pupils were sexually assaulted at the Orlando East School.
It’s understood a 57-year-old school patroller targeted girls from grades R to grade 7.
He was arrested this week.
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi on Thursday removed the senior officials of the school while the probe is underway.
It's alleged that school leadership discouraged pupils from reporting the matter to their parents or authorities.
Lesufi says the police are working closely with the parents of the young children to gather the evidence.
The police have those dockets and are working hard with the remaining parents to ensure a solid case.— Panyaza Lesufi, Gauteng Education MEC
He says a team, including The Teddy Bear Clinic, has been established to provide psychological support to the affected learners.
Take a listen to Lesufi elaborate on the investigation:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : 44 Soweto parents, pupils have submitted evidence in sexual assault probe so far