Organisations threaten legal action against Zuma over SABC board appointments
On Friday, Media Monitoring Africa and the SOS Support Public Broadcasting Coalition filed a joint urgent application in the high court in Joburg demanding that president Jacob Zuma appoint a permanent SABC board.
By not appointing a board yet, Zuma has yet to comply with this application, promoting them to take further legal action.
William Bird the executive director Media Monitoring says that is the end point for them. He adds that the presidents lack of action has put them in a position where they have no choice but to take legal action.
It's particularly frustrating as a civil society organisation, when we are trying to build our country and help stabilize our public broadcaster, when you then have to resort to legal action, because the president doesn't want to do what he is constitutionally and legally mandated to do.William Bird, Executive Director Media Monitoring
Prior to legal action, Bird says they sent Zuma a letter expressing their intent to go to court if a board was not appointed. He adds the reasons been given regarding the delay in the process is just not believable.
According to Bird, the key arguments in their court papers include the fact that the presidents role in the appointment of the board is not one where he get to think about who is selected. Read: Presidency says Zuma being thorough with SABC board appointments
Broadly speaking its a rubber stamping position where he has to consider them and say 'this person I nominate to be the board chair and this person I appoint to be the deputy chair. Thank you very much. ' And away you go.William Bird, Executive Director Media Monitoring
The reason it should be this way, according to Bird, is because the SABC is not like other state owned entities. As a public broadcaster issues of independence are critical.
Listen to the full interview below:
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation says the fact that SA's coronavirus defences have been looted is not a big surprise.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
Last year, the former president tweeted that former tourism minister Derek Hanekom was "a known enemy agent".Read More
According to the Presidency, John Nkadimeng passed away on 6 August 2020 at the age of 93.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews Whitey Basson, who believes it's just not good enough for govt to say ban will be lifted but not when.Read More
The minister said the inter-ministerial committee, appointed by President Cyril Ramaphosa, was an entity with teeth that would act against those found to be looting from COVID-19 related projects.Read More
Minister of Justice and Correctional Services Ronald Lamola briefs media on the outcomes of the Cabinet Meeting of 5 August 2020.Read More
Naledi Pandor's spokesperson Lunga Ngqengelele says the minister has been in conversation with Zimbabwean officials on the matter.Read More