Streaming issues? Report here
702 logo Gradients 702 logo Gradients
Late Night Talk
00:00 - 04:00
volume_up
volume_mute

Up Next: Early Breakfast with Africa Melane
See full line-up
Late Night Talk
00:00 - 04:00
Home
arrow_forward
Local

National Health Department is not running out of funds says Dr. Motsoaledi

31 October 2017 5:46 PM
Tags:
Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi
National department of health
Provincial health department

Medical negligence claims are not lodged against the National but Provincial Department of Health explains the health minister.

On Monday, the 702 Afternoon Drive show explored the situation in Gauteng Health Department as it ventures towards what could possibly be a new Life Esidimeni type disaster.

It seems that more than 5‚500 medical negligence claims have been made against the national health department since 2014, an amount of almost R2 billion says 702 host, Bongani Bingwa.

Bingwa goes on to say the state of our healthcare system in South Africa can only be described as shocking.

In response to a parliamentary question Health Minister‚ Aaron Motsoaledi said that the number of claims grows each year with the Eastern Cape the biggest culprit this year with 450 claims so far. Gauteng had the highest monetary value in claims with 396 claims this year‚ totalling R154-million.

Responding to Bingwa, Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi Health Minister at Department of Health says the National Health Department is not running out of funds.

Medical negligence claims are not lodged against the National Department of Health but the Provincial Department of Health.

Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi Health Minister at Department of Health

Only when people sue, they quote the minister of health as required by law, explains Motsoaledi. Motsoaledi goes on to say some of the claims are not exclusive the public health sector but includes the private sector too.

Motsoaledi adds that to reduce negligence in hospitals or medical rooms, malpractice needs to be curbed.

The reason they are claiming fees are this high is because lawyers use the contingency system, where they are entitled to 25% of the client's payout, he adds.

We need to see how we change the contingency system.

Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi Health Minister at Department of Health

Listen to the full interview in the audio clip below:


This article first appeared on CapeTalk : National Health Department is not running out of funds says Dr. Motsoaledi


31 October 2017 5:46 PM
Tags:
Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi
National department of health
Provincial health department

Recommended

More from Local

bandilejpg

UPDATE: Recoveries reach 102,299 as SA records 10,134 new cases

7 July 2020 11:52 PM

The Department of Health announced on Tuesday that there were 192 new coronavirus-related deaths.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

151028Rain cold front cold temperature jpg

Cold front to bring heavy rain and snow to parts of South Africa

7 July 2020 5:34 PM

South African Weather Service forecaster Mbavhalelo Maliage has the details.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Water tap outside

WaterAid urges government to invest more in water and sanitation during COVID-19

7 July 2020 5:01 PM

The organisation is also calling on government to ensure municipalities do not cut off water supply to communities.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

150130akijhb4.jpg

City of Joburg entities operate on contingency staff because of COVID-19

7 July 2020 4:40 PM

MMC for environment and infrastructure services Mpho Moerane says Joburg Water has reported a total of 82 positive cases.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Parents home with newborn baby childbirth 123rfparenting 123rflifestyle 123rf

Absence of positive and active men in a child's life puts them at risk

7 July 2020 4:34 PM

Latasha Slavin of Heartlines unpacks attitudes and beliefs that contribute to a lack of positive involvement by some fathers.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

dog-pawjpg

Sad news for police dog unit again as 45 puppies die of canine parvovirus

7 July 2020 1:28 PM

This is the second time the virus has affected the South African Police Service (SAPS) K9 Academy in Roodeplaat, Pretoria.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

aureliejpg

Help EWN’s Aurelie Kalenga continue to feed hundreds of families during COVID-19

7 July 2020 9:11 AM

People can make donations through Webtickets and send those voucher codes to AurelieK@ewn.co.za.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

coronavirus covid-19 test 123rf 123rfcoronavirus 123rfcovid-19 123rflifestyle

Cipla plans to bring COVID-19 treatment remdesivir to SA at an affordable price

6 July 2020 5:18 PM

Joanne Joseph spoke to Cipla South Africa CEO Paul Miller to find out more.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

130523sabc.jpg

'SABC must exhaust all other avenues to stabilise their finances'

6 July 2020 4:44 PM

The Save Our SABC Coalition says the public broadcaster must look at other measures before retrenching staff.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

152385de-f96c-4922-b40b-18cca88469ec.jpg

Court grants private early childhood development centres green light to open

6 July 2020 4:03 PM

Solidarity union says a lack of communication from the Department of Social Development forced it to take this matter to court.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward