Joburg residents urged to use water sparingly during hot weather

Johannesburg Water has urged residents to use water sparingly as water consumption increases due to high temperatures.

The utility says level 1 water restrictions are still in place and it has threatened to cut off the water supply to areas that fail to adhere to these restrictions.

Stephen Grootes spoke to water expert and professor at Wits University's School of Governance, Mike Muller.

Muller says while the Vaal Dam is at 94%, it is enough to provide water at normal consumption.

They can provide us a reliable supply of a certain amount but we now need more than that.

Mike Muller, professor at Wits University's School of Governance

Johannesburg is being sensible. If we want to be sure we have enough water we have got to keep using only as much as we used to use, and if there are more people that means we all have to use less.

Mike Muller, professor at Wits University's School of Governance

Click on the link below to hear Muller's take on the growing demand for water...


Recommended

by NEWSROOM AI
Read More
WATCH: Innovative spray limits toilet flushes and saves water

WATCH: Innovative spray limits toilet flushes and saves water

Loo Me is a simple yet effective scented foam that takes the yuck out of "mellowing" toilets preventing multiple flushes.

Beaufort West is relying solely on boreholes and effluent water

Beaufort West is relying solely on boreholes and effluent water

The Gamka Dam which is the main source of drinking water is completely dry and the boreholes could soon run dry.

Water meter saving device changing kids habits at schools

Water meter saving device changing kids habits at schools

Africa Melane talks to Pragma CEO Adriaan Scheeres, a partner with CapeTalk, Shoprite, Bridgiot and Stellies Uni in the challenge.

20% of water in Beaufort West is recycled sewage water. Could Cape Town be next?

20% of water in Beaufort West is recycled sewage water. Could Cape Town be next?

Water expert Pierre Marais says effluent supplied by the municipality undergoes a lengthy treatment process before it's drinkable.

Beaufort West has reached its Day Zero

Beaufort West has reached its Day Zero

Municipal Manager, Kosie Haarhof says they are now relying on boreholes to supply the town with water as all the dams are empty.

WC Education Dept steps in to help schools save water

WC Education Dept steps in to help schools save water

WC Education Department has committed to fund 40% of smart meter installations, urging corporates to cover the remaining 60%.

The do's and don'ts of catch and release

The do's and don'ts of catch and release

Imagine running a distance then your head is pushed under water – that’s what happens with sealife, they can't breath says Dr Mann

Local project slashes water usage at Cape school and spreads awareness

Local project slashes water usage at Cape school and spreads awareness

This smart meter initiative will save 1 million litres of water a day at the top 100 high-volume water-using schools in Cape Town.

Popular articles
A Matter of Fact: 5 ways to measure 'middle class' South Africa

A Matter of Fact: 5 ways to measure 'middle class' South Africa

Africa Check's senior researcher Kate Wilkinson explains ways of measuring this grouping.