A neurologist says it’s highly unlikely Henri van Breda would have been able to fake a seizure or amnesia on the night his family was killed.
Dr James Butler diagnosed Van Breda with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy earlier this month after the 23-year old apparently had a fit.
Van Breda is accused of the murder of his parents and older brother and the attempted murder of his younger sister in their Stellenbosch home in 2015.
State prosecutor Susan Galloway concluded her cross-examination of Butler on Wednesday, reports EWN's Monique Mortlock.
Butler delivered testimony in the Western Cape High Court, saying there is scientific evidence the triple murder accused experienced seizures.
The doctor argues that it is possible that Van Breda experienced an epileptic seizure in on the night of the attack and another one early in November.
She questioned why now? She's questioning the timing of the diagnosis.. after he told the court that he blacked out on the night of the attacks for 2 hours and 40 minutes.— Monique Mortlock, EWN reporter
Butler told the court that he only made the diagnosis after Van Breda informed him of the sysmtopms, alluding that he couldn't have known that he would be diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy.— Monique Mortlock, EWN reporter
The defence has concluded its cross examination and court proceedings have been postponed until 12 February next year for closing arguments.
Take a listen to the EWN update:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Suspicion over Van Breda's new epilepsy diagnosis, trial postponed until 2018