Claims Selebano signed off Esidimeni project plan one year into moves, 81 deaths

It appears Gauteng’s suspended Health HOD only signed off on the Life Esidmeni project a year into the patient moves.

Dr Barney Selebano apparently signed off on the plans to move patients in October 2016.

Read: Selebano claims he first found out about deaths from Motsoaledi

By this time 81 patients had already died, reports EWN's Masego Rahlaga.

This means that hundreds of patients were moved to NGOs illegally, if the project plan was approved before October 2016.

However, Selebano says the documents were dated in error.

Selebano has been questioned about his role in the Life Esidmeni project which resulted in the deaths of 143 psychiatric patients.

He's been testifying at the arbitration hearings and the judge has warned that he will be charged with perjury, should he lie under oath.

Also read: Selebano grilled for not heeding warnings about patient moves

Dr Selebano signed off on the plans to move patients in October 2016. By this time 81 patients had already died. He's saying it's an error.

Masego Rahlaga, EWN reporter

He says there is a culture that makes it very tense and hostile for [government] employees to speak up.

Masego Rahlaga, EWN reporter

He says he was afraid to stand up to former MEC Qedani Mahlangu.

Masego Rahlaga, EWN reporter

Meanwhile, the South African Federation of Trade Unions (Saftu) has been protesting outside the hearings.

Saftu spokesperson Patrick Craven says the evasiveness of public servants during the hearings is a sign of government's callousness.

Take a listen:


This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Claims Selebano signed off Esidimeni project plan one year into moves, 81 deaths


Recommended

by NEWSROOM AI
Read More
Wits Nehawu members down tools over salaries

Wits Nehawu members down tools over salaries

Nehawu Wits acting secretary Tumisho Madihlaba says negotiations with management deadlocked resulting in a strike.

Life Esidimeni: Selebano grilled for not heeding warnings about patient moves

Life Esidimeni: Selebano grilled for not heeding warnings about patient moves

Lawyers representing 55 families asked Selebano why he didn't listen to people writing him warning letters not to move patients.

Life Esidimeni: Selebano claims he first found out about deaths from Motsoaledi

Life Esidimeni: Selebano claims he first found out about deaths from Motsoaledi

Selebano says he only received a call from Aaron Motsoaledi in July 2016 about the patient's deaths.

Court orders Dr Barney Selebano to  testify at Esidimeni arbitration

Court orders Dr Barney Selebano to testify at Esidimeni arbitration

Selebano has failed all court bids to avoid the Life Esidimeni arbitration hearings and will have to testify on Tuesday.

'Suspended Gauteng Health HOD betrayed his oath as a doctor'

'Suspended Gauteng Health HOD betrayed his oath as a doctor'

TAC national deputy chair Patrick Mdletshe expresses outrage at Selebano's unjust response towards Life Esidimeni hearing.

May the Fourth be with you, a celebration of Star Wars Day

May the Fourth be with you, a celebration of Star Wars Day

May 4 marks "May the Fourth be with you," Day celebrated by fans George Lucas' fans of his Star Wars global movie franchise.

Popular articles
[LISTEN] Father William MacCurtain apologies to abuse victim William Segodisho

[LISTEN] Father William MacCurtain apologies to abuse victim William Segodisho

Father Paul Nicholson SJ explains how they handled the Segodisho matter from 2002.

Stormy weather expected over parts of South Africa

Stormy weather expected over parts of South Africa

The South African Weather Service is predicting some much-needed rain over some parts of South Africa over the weekend.

'VBS stolen money bought the most useless things like Ferraris and helicopters'

'VBS stolen money bought the most useless things like Ferraris and helicopters'

Deputy editor at Finacial Mail Sikonathi Mantshantsha says it is mind-boggling why no one has been arrested in the VBS saga.

R10 million siphoned from VBS to Floyd Shivambu's personal account

R10 million siphoned from VBS to Floyd Shivambu's personal account

Top ANC officials, along with senior EFF members are among those being fingered in the scandal relating to more than R1 billion being siphoned out of VBS Mutual Bank.

Sunday Times has seven days to confess to state capture role, warns O'Sullivan

Sunday Times has seven days to confess to state capture role, warns O'Sullivan

Private eye Paul O'Sullivan says the Sunday Times was an integral part of state capture and needs to come clean or face a boycott.

[WATCH] Is it a cow's penis or an udder? Well, this kid thinks it's a penis

[WATCH] Is it a cow's penis or an udder? Well, this kid thinks it's a penis

Check out the videos, tweets, Facebook posts that have gone viral and why this kid cheered her dad on in the toilet.

Meet Johann Redelinghuys, a man hell-bent on ending retirement (as we know it)

Meet Johann Redelinghuys, a man hell-bent on ending retirement (as we know it)

“Why try and make retirement more palatable? Why not just abolish it completely?” says headhunter Johann Redelinghuys.