702 logo Gradients 702 logo Gradients
Early Breakfast

Up Next: Breakfast with Bongani Bingwa
Early Breakfast

Opinion
fiber_manual_record
Lifestyle

[LISTEN] Stories about coming out of the closet

18 January 2018 12:56 PM
Homosexuality
Gay
Eusebius McKaiser
World Coming Out Day
cross dress
‘She was there to try to persuade me that I should think twice about being gay.' Eusebius McKaiser

Coming out as being gay to friends and family can be a very daunting and harrowing experience. It can be a complex process when you consider aspects such as the workplace culture, homosexual violence, and social dynamics.

In light of coming out to the world, Eusebius shared his own personal experience of how he came out to his father and friends.

I was 18 going on 19, and had just come back from Cape Town, says the radio presenter. After finding my first love online, I went on a ‘gaycursion.’

Eusebius says that he fell in love with a young man who is now a doctor, and found himself spending a week at his house. He adds that the young man's parents had no idea what was going on, but Eusebius suspects that there were curious about the nature of the relationship.

When he returned to campus, he was overjoyed with excitement. I melodramatically handwrote a letter to my father and sent it, I also started rounding up my friends to tell them that I was gay, he elaborates.

I wasn’t nervous telling my friends that I’m gay. I wasn’t nervous telling my dad.

Eusebius McKaiser, 702 presenter

Eusebius says that he continued to live his best life, and found himself enjoying fruitful relationships, and recounts having to deal with the walk of shame on campus.

He tells of the emotional account when his father called him crying and proceeded to say that he read his letter. Eusebius adds that despite the long journey, his now on good terms with his father.

He loves my boyfriends; he talks to them sometimes more than he talks to me.

Eusebius McKaiser, 702 presenter

My dad’s tears caught me off guard says Eusebius. When parents cry, it becomes very hard to take the moral high ground.

Eusebius recalls the unforgettable event of having a nun appear at his university residence. He adds that he initially thought she was there to inform him that there was a death in the family. The ironic thing is that years later, the nun left the nunnery and ran off with another man says Eusebius.

Joining Eusebius on the topic of coming out was gay crossdresser Jacky Tshokwe. To be honest, I had a different encounter, says Tshokwe.

I grew up gay and I had no reason to come out.

Jacky Tshokwe, gay crossdresser

Tshokwe adds that getting older, there was a need to disclose aspects around sexual orientation in the workplace.

The township I grew up in was very supportive, and my community in Mamelodi was caring and they knew they were raising a little girl without boobs jokes Tshokwe.

Media was very accommodating, but when I started working in corporate, I had to change my look for the sake of being recognised and promoted.

Jacky Tshokwe, gay crossdresser

You are not taken seriously when you are a crossdresser because you are wearing heels but your resume says mister.

Jacky Tshokwe, gay crossdresser

Tshokwe says that having to change to suit the working environment was very uncomfortable.

You’re not living your day to day life as who you are. You’re living it to suit the companies culture so you can put bread on the table.

Jacky Tshokwe, gay crossdresser

A few years ago, I had a TV interview with my mom and that was the first time I saw her cry, says Tshokwe, adding. that she was coming out to the public about the nature of raising a gay child.

Tshokwe says that there is so much discrimination within the gay community, especially with butch gay men and feminine gay men.

You’d find one saying that I cannot date you because you are too obvious and you’d expose me.

Jacky Tshokwe, gay cross dresser

Click on the link below to hear more...

This article first appeared on CapeTalk : [LISTEN] Stories about coming out of the closet

18 January 2018 12:56 PM
Homosexuality
Gay
Eusebius McKaiser
World Coming Out Day
cross dress

More from Opinion

melanie verwoerd_3.png

'People keep saying govt must treat them like adults. So then, wear the masks!'

23 May 2020 4:27 PM

After counting 20 people without masks during a short drive, political analyst Melanie Verwoerd called CapeTalk in despair.

biancaswidth-800jpg

'Bianca Schoombee doesn't regret what she said, she regrets how it came up'

21 May 2020 11:16 AM

Callers on the Eusebius McKaiser Show debate Bianca Schoombee's tweets, apology and her Miss SA withdrawal.

200519 Angie Motshekga1

'Problem is that govt wants to give textbook answers to real-life situations'

20 May 2020 11:32 AM

Callers on the Eusebius McKaiser Show express their concerns over the announcement by the basic education minister.

bcx-branded-article-thumbnail-gabriel-tovar-unsplash-smalljpg

[OPINION] Digital infrastructure critical to survive a Post Corona world

20 May 2020 9:34 AM

The need for rapid adaptation is becoming more critical as the financial services sector adjusts to a post COVID-19 climate

covid-19 coronavirus South Africa lockdown 123rf

'We should not treat COVID-19 numbers like a maths game,' says Eusebius

18 May 2020 11:06 AM

Eusebius McKaiser says if the numbers are treated like some daily statistical daily test we will lose the human story behind them.

cigarette-buttsjpg

Smoking gets more costly as cigarette prices skyrocket during lockdown

15 May 2020 11:12 AM

Callers share how much they are spending on cigarettes during the lockdown.

200513 Ramaphosa3

'The president was so annoying and exhausted,' says caller

14 May 2020 11:01 AM

702 listeners express their dissatisfaction with President Cyril Ramaphosa's address on Wednesday night.

eusebius-mckaiser-show-picjpg

eNCA is behaving no differently to the worst days of the SABC - Eusebius

7 May 2020 10:48 AM

McKaiser shares his thoughts on the suspension of Xoli Mngambi and Jane Dutton from the news channel.

eusebius-mckaiserpng

It is pathetic to apologise if you have courage of your conviction - Eusebius

5 May 2020 11:25 AM

Show host Eusebius McKaiser weighs in on the opinion shared by eNCA's Xoli Mngambi and Jane Dutton and the apology they shared.

190408-alex-protestersjpg

Debating a wealth tax: 'It raises a moral question in SA's unequal society'

3 May 2020 12:02 PM

Judge Dennis Davis (Davis Tax Committee) weighs in on a study which finds 3,500 individuals own 15% of South Africa's wealth.

More from Lifestyle

child-daughter-mom-mother-divorce-childhood-trauma-psychologist-parents-123rf

COVID-19 and its impact: Why you should engage your children on their anxieties

26 May 2020 2:41 PM

Azania Mosaka speaks to clinical psychologist Viwe Dweba about this.

mask-Covid-19-woman-driver-driving-car-coronavirus-commuting-sanitiser-123rf

Sanitisers can cause allergic reaction to your skin

25 May 2020 6:23 PM

Dermatologist Nomphelo Gantsho says soaps are much more effective than hand sanitisers.

thandiswa-mazwaijpg

Celebrating Africa Day with Thandiswa Mazwai

25 May 2020 4:29 PM

The icon says now is actually an important time for music because it can travel much further than any language can.

Emotions emoticons emojis sad happy angry scared

[LISTEN] Can optimism be learned?

25 May 2020 12:21 PM

Eusebius McKaiser speaks to clinical psychologist Khosi Jiyane for more on this.

Man at check-in counter at airport with passport travel 123rflifestyle 123rf

'Essential travel' approved for South Africans who need to return abroad

24 May 2020 5:01 PM

The Dept of Home Affairs has announced the categories which meet criteria for permission to leave the country.

nosipho-dumisajpg

Nosipho Dumisa on the success of African Original series 'Blood and Water'

24 May 2020 3:32 PM

The writer and director says authenticity is a vital ingredient of the local series which is making waves around the world.

police-minister-bheki-celepng

[VIDEO] Where did you get the cigarette? ZOL creator's new beat stars Bheki Cele

24 May 2020 10:56 AM

Max Hurrell made international headlines putting NDZ to music. Now it's the police minister's turn.

richardjpg

The playlist of the special Africa Day Edition of “This is Africa”

23 May 2020 8:44 PM

This weekend’s song list for Richard Nwamba's “This is Africa” show celebrating Africa Month.

parents-grocery-shopping-with-childrenwebp

No better time than now to teach your children about generosity and gratitude

23 May 2020 1:58 PM

Parenting expert Nikki Bush discusses simple ways to help your kids think of others in need and inculcate a value system.

miriam-makeba-angelique-kidjojpg

Celebrating Africa Month with the continent's music legends

23 May 2020 9:01 AM

“This is Africa” with Richard Nwamba will feature 10 of the continent’s legendary names