The British government has issued a travel advisory‚ warning of possible attacks when traveling to South Africa.
This comes after the kidnapping of a UK couple in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN).
It's alleged that the elderly couple, who have lived in Cape Town for many years, were kidnapped by a terror group near Vryheid in Northern KZN.
Police are not sharing anymore information about the abduction of the pair at this stage, says Sunday Times journalist Jeff Wicks.
According to Wicks, two suspects were arrested in connection with the case.
They appeared in the Vryheid Magistrate's Court on Monday and face charges related to terrorism‚ abduction and possibly murder.
Some time last week, this couple - whose names have not been released yet - somehow crossed paths with a nefarious group that either kidnapped them, is holding them against their will or have done worse.— Jeff Wicks, senior jounalist at Sunday Times and KZN Correspondent
Police confirmed that there was a kidnapping. They seem to know who they are looking for.— Jeff Wicks, senior jounalist at Sunday Times and KZN Correspondent
Police told us that arrests are imminent but they are playing with their cards extremely close to their chest.— Jeff Wicks, senior jounalist at Sunday Times and KZN Correspondent
We spoke to the Hawks spokesman last night and he told us that people's lives are at stake.— Jeff Wicks, senior jounalist at Sunday Times and KZN Correspondent
Take a listen to the new update:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : UK issues terror warning against SA after Brit couple abducted in KZN