Spike in complaints over shady debit orders - banking ombud
The Ombudsman for Banking Services (OBS) says it has recorded a sudden influx of complaints and queries related to unauthorised debit orders.
Ombudsman Reana Steyn explains that rise has led to unauthorised debit orders being categorised separately in reports by the organisation.
Steyn argues that banks are working to combat the fraudulent activity by implementing tools designed to help protect consumers, such as the DebiCheck system.
It is getting more and it's especially worrying for consumers who lose money and have to spend the time to get it reversed and recovered.Reana Steyn, Ombudsman for Banking Services
It's across the board where we see these rogue users entering the market trying to make a quick buck.Reana Steyn, Ombudsman for Banking Services
Banks are processing 50 million debit orders per month. That's a lot of transactions to just suddenly change the systems but measures are being put in place.Reana Steyn, Ombudsman for Banking Services
The ombud has encouraged consumers to check their bank statements regularly and make sure they understand all their transactions.
She adds that consumers should report fraudulent debit orders to police in order to clamp down on scammers.
Steyn says her office will continue to take action against any banking officials guilty of maladministration or inaction over unauthorised debit orders.
Take a listen to her explain the process entailed when reporting complaints to the ombud:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Spike in complaints over shady debit orders - banking ombud
The number of national recoveries so far is 127,715. The total number of tests conducted to date is 2.108,570.Read More
The state-owned power utility said stage 2 load shedding will resume at 8 am on Sunday until 10 pm.Read More
This after a crowd of congregants were ordered to disperse.Read More
An intelligence-driven operation conducted this week, led police to a house in Phuku Street.Read More
In a tweet late on Friday night, the Presidency confirmed accommodation for leisure is open for travel within provinces was allowed.Read More
Eskom is implementing stage two load shedding for a second day, while technicians work to bring generating units back online.Read More
It’s alleged ongoing conflict to succeed the leader of the church in Zuurbekom turned bloody when congregates allegedly attacked people who were inside, indicating that they were coming to take over the premises.Read More
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi shared an update on the impact of the outbreak on his department on Friday.Read More
The rapper urged South Africans to adhere to social distancing guidelines and to wear their masks.Read More
Good Things Guy founder Brent Lindeque says people tend not to focus on the number of COVID-19 recoveries that keeps going up.Read More