Australian authorities announced on Wednesday that a fourth person has died after consuming melon contaminated with listeria, reports Channel News Asia. The is believed to have affected 17 people so far.
The source was traced to a farm in New South Wales (NSW) state.
"There have been two deaths in NSW and two in Victoria," NSW Health said in an update, adding that two new cases took the total affected nationally to 17.
All contaminated rockmelons, the equivalent of Spanspek in South Africa, were recalled from the market in Australia on 28 February.
Listeria is a commonly found bacteria and for many people who consume foods that contain it, it does not cause illness. But it can pose a threat to the elderly, pregnant women or those with conditions like diabetes or cancer.