NPA to pursue Zuma prosecution
Prosecutions boss Shaun Abrahams announced on Friday that the state has reinstated fraud and corruption charges against former President Jacob Zuma.
This comes after a nine-year-long legal battle and more than R15 million of taxpayers' money spent on legal fees.
Last year, the Supreme Court of Appeal set aside the 2009 decision to withdraw the case against the former president.
At the end of January, Zuma submitted fresh representations to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) on why he should not face corruption charges.
A team of five senior state prosecutors spent four weeks studying his reasons and made recommendation to Abrahams, whose job is currently on the line.
Abrahams says there is a reasonable prospect of a successful prosecution and adds that Zuma’s representations are unsuccessful.
Earlier this week, lobby group Casac attempted to stop Abrahams from making the announcement until a final court decision was taken on his fate as prosecutions boss.
It's understood that Zuma was informed of the decision before Abrahams made the announcement publicly.
#ZumaCharges Abrahams: earlier today I notified Zuma, through his lawyers, of my decision. BB— EWN Reporter (@ewnreporter) March 16, 2018
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : NPA to pursue Zuma prosecution
Former president Jacob Zuma said on his official Twitter account that he “unconditionally withdraws” the allegation.Read More
The president said in his Women's Day speech there are efforts to give women access to productive assets such as land.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation says the fact that SA's coronavirus defences have been looted is not a big surprise.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
Last year, the former president tweeted that former tourism minister Derek Hanekom was "a known enemy agent".Read More
According to the Presidency, John Nkadimeng passed away on 6 August 2020 at the age of 93.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews Whitey Basson, who believes it's just not good enough for govt to say ban will be lifted but not when.Read More
The minister said the inter-ministerial committee, appointed by President Cyril Ramaphosa, was an entity with teeth that would act against those found to be looting from COVID-19 related projects.Read More