Health Ombudsman, Professor Malegapuru Makgoba says Monday's ruling on the Esidimeni tragedy, handed down by retired deputy chief justice Dikgang Moseneke, has affirmed his findings.
Makgoba lead last year's investigations into the deaths of over 100 mentally ill patients moved from Life Esidimeni facilities and found that all 27 NGOs where patients were transferred to, were operating unlawfully.
He also found that patients died from hunger and dehydration.
1 700 patients were moved.
Moseneke's has ordered the Gauteng government to pay R20 000 for funeral expenses, R180 000 for general damages for shock and psychological trauma and R1 million to families of the patients, irrespective of whether their loved ones died.
The judgement delivered today is not only groundbreaking and a precedent setting, but it was the sort of judgement that really deserves the evidence that was presented to myself earlier on and during ABR.— Professor Malegapuru Makgoba, Health Ombudsman
I wrote this report typically like a medical scientist and what Justice Moseneke has done, he has put it in a legal language and affirmed my findings. For that I am grateful, but I am even more grateful that the families and relatives of the deceased and traumatised have welcomed this judgement.— Professor Malegapuru Makgoba, Health Ombudsman
These violations of the constitution were so diverse, so pervasive and what puzzled me was this was done by three senior officials...— Professor Malegapuru Makgoba, Health Ombudsman
Meanwhile Representative of the Family Members of the Life Esidimeni Tragedy, Christine Nxumalo, says families will not let up.
We as families are not going to let up. There is no way, especially with having been found by Professor Makgoba to be responsible and former chief justice Moseneke in his ruling, you have to wonder what power these people have for them not to be criminally charged.— Christine Nxumalo, Representative of the Family Members of the Life Esidimeni Tragedy
Click on the link below to hear both interviews....