A look at South Africa's 10 most expensive high schools has begged the question: Is good education really bought?
The top two most expensive schools in the country each have an annual fee exceeding R200 000 per scholar. Let that sink in.
CapeTalk presenter Kieno Kammies spoke to Dr Muavia Gallie, independent education consultant, who said that the school fees figures present a big challenge for South African families.
Listen to the full conversation on CapeTalk's Breakfast with Kieno Kammies:
If you look at the amount of money, it is more than what most South Africans are earning in a year. So, if these are the figures we pay for only one child in a school, it is a big challenge.— Dr Muavia Gallie, independent education consultant
Top 10 of SA's most expensive schools
The schools listed below reflect what South African parents are paying for a full senior year in 2015. All of them are reported to have achieved a 100% matric pass rate in 2014.
1. Hilton College: a private, all-boys, boarding school in Kwazulu-Natal.
- R219 500 (Boarding pupil)
- N/A (Day pupil)
2. Michael House: a boys boarding school loacated in Kwazulu-Natal Midlands.
- R208 320 (Boarding pupil)
- N/A (Day pupil)
3. St Andrews College: an all-boys school found in Grahamstown, Eastern Cape.
- R199 140 (Boarding pupil)
- R88 950 (Day pupil)
4. Roedean School for Girls: an all-girls school in Parktown, Johannesburg.
- R196 539 (Boarding pupil)
- R107 670 (Day pupil)
5. Kearsney College: a private boarding school for boys based in Botha's Hill, KwaZulu-Natal.
- R195 800 (Boarding pupil)
- R134 800 (Day pupil)
6. St Johns College: a boys school in Houghton, Johannesburg.
- R194 231 (Boarding pupil)
- R115 067 (Day pupil)
7. St Andrew’s School for Girls: an all girl's school situated in Bedfordview, Johannesburg.
- R189 830 (Boarding pupil)
- R102 400 (Day pupil)
8. St Martins: a co-educational school found in Rosettenville, Johannesburg.
- R184 460 (Boarding pupil)
- R112 000 (Day pupil)
9. Bishops: a private boys school in Rondebosch, Cape Town.
- R184 120 (Boarding pupil)
- R105 520 (Day pupil)
10. St Stithians: a private school with two single-sex streams found in Sandton, Johannesburg.
- R181 693 (Boarding pupil)
- R104 770 (Day pupil)
South Africa's education structure in need of some work
According to Gallie, only 2-5% of South Africa's population can afford the fees of the schools listed above. He says that the current structure of the education system dictates that if you’ve got more money, you have a better education.
Gallie advises that it need not be that the quality of South African education be linked to the amount of money parents spend.
For an extensive list of all 22 schools, visit the BusinessTech website.