Old age home manager claims he is entitled to residents' Sassa grants
The Lodewyk Spies Home in Eersterust is accused of abusing the elderly residents living in the home.
The Eersterust Concerned Residents Home accuses the home of ill-treating the elderly and misusing funds it receives from the Department of Social Development.
DA Gauteng Spokesperson on Social Development, Justus De Goede says they are concerned about the misuse of funds the home receives from Social Development.
One of the key issues we are investigating is the claim made by the home manager that he is entitled to keep the Sassa cards and to keep 70% of the grant each month from each person.Justus De Goede, DA Gauteng Spokesperson on Social Development
It is claimed that this is permitted by the Elderly Persons Act and I am looking at the Act under a microscope to see if this type of action is allowed.Justus De Goede, DA Gauteng Spokesperson on Social Development
However, Pastor Les Sanabria from the Human Rights Commission says it is allowed that 90% of the grant to be deducted and the remaining 10% be given to the people as pocket money.
There is a disparity as far as the social development subsidy is concerned. They do not subsidise as per unit cost. and some of these old age homes would cost about R5 000 at least to house an older person.Pastor Les Sanabria, Human Rights Commission
Now you do have abuses with regards to that and abuses need to be reported to the closest department of social development office.Pastor Les Sanabria, Human Rights Commission
Listen to how many old age homes DSD is subsidising in Gauteng:
The number of national recoveries so far is 138,241. The total number of tests conducted to date is 2.194,624.Read More
Justice ministry spokesperson Crispin Phiri explains the motive behind government's decision to enforce the wearing of masks.Read More
Jansen told Afternoon Drive Show that we should not 'be blind to the reality that we are not going to cover the curriculum'.Read More
UJ's Department of Sociology lecturer David Du Toit speaks to Joanne Joseph and shares his insights on outsourcing domestic work.Read More
Refiloe Mpakanyane speaks to one of the 2019 GirlCode winners, Nondumiso Ngcobo, as well as participant Andiswa Mkhonto.Read More
SAPS national spokesperson Vish Naidoo and International Pentecostal Holiness Church's Mpho Makwana reflect on the incident.Read More
Minister Lindiwe Sisulu and Minister Naledi Pandor reflect on the life of Ambassador Zindzi Mandela.Read More
President Cyril Ramaphosa reintroduced rules to curb the spread of COVID-19 in South Africa.Read More
With South Africa among the top 10 most-affected countries in the world, Dlamini-Zuma said that South Africans should wear masks to protect themselves from the coronavirus.Read More