Ed Dept scraps supplementary exams for matriculants
The Department of Education has decided to scrap matric supplementary exams and replace them with a second, fully fledged exam in the middle of the year.
Spokesperson Elijah Mhlanga says they have been monitoring the supplementary exams for some time.
He says they have discovered that a large number of those who register to write do not show up and of those who do show up, many don't pass the exams.
That meant we were losing money, time and resources because we are not making the improvements we would like to see, so we felt we needed to come up with another way of creating access to people.Elijah Mhlanga, Spokesperson for the Department of Basic Education
Mhlanga says the old system allowed those who have failed to register only two subjects, meaning that if they failed more than two subject they had to seat again for those subjects.
But with the new system they will be able to register and write all the subjects they have failed.
The new system will be implemented from 2019 onwards.
To hear the rest of the conversation with Elijah Mhlanga, listen below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Ed Dept scraps supplementary exams for matriculants
PayGas CEO Philippe Hoeblich says it is ideal to operate from petrol filling stations as they are within a walking distance.Read More
Given the national lockdown restrictions on public gatherings, this year’s national day has been televised and celebrated virtually with president Ramaphosa delivering his address remotely.Read More
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
Today marks 64 years since the heroic 1956 Women’s March to the Union Buildings against draconian pass laws and their impact on women.Read More
There were 36,607 new tests conducted. The number of tests conducted to date is 3.220,265 with 535,188 confirmed cases.Read More
According to a statement from his family, the 91-year-old veteran politician is currently self-isolating at home and remains asymptomatic.Read More
National Consumer Commission director of prosecutions Joseph Selolo says you can't be naive or claim to be duped.Read More
Baroka and Bloem Celtic will be part of South African football history when they play the first professional game of football in the country since the COVID-19 lockdown began.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More