The North West government says an alleged assassination plot on Premier Supra Mahumapelo is not the first.
The Hawks confirmed on Sunday that they are investigating the alleged plot after Mahumapelo opened a case at the Mahikeng Police Station.
It is believed the plot involves hiring hitmen who have already been paid R250,000 and have been promised to receive more if they go ahead with the killing.
Responding to the suggestion that this is an attempt by Mahumapelo to deflect from current efforts to have him removed from his position, the premier's spokesperson Brian Setswambung says the comments are unfortunate.
That conclusion is very unfortunate but of course people are entitled to their opinions, what is comforting us from where we are as the provincial government is that it is public knowledge that this type of attempt is not the first of it's kind. Last year the Lehuru Magistrate Court was able to successfully prosecute a person for 5 years.. the second one which is public knowledge is the one involving a councilor in Mahikeng, the case is ongoing.— Brian Setswambung, North West spokesperson
The security for the Premier has not been beefed up, the SAPS after their assessment will be able to make a determination as to whether they beef up the Premier's security.— Brian Setswambung, North West spokesperson
Taking a closer look into the major cause of the service delivery collapse in the North West, spokesperson for the South African National Civic Organisation (Sanco) Jabu Mahlangu says Mahumapelo should take accountability for a range of issues in the province.
Supra Mahumapelo has been accused and the best he can do for the people of South Africa is step down, allow investigations to happen and let his name be cleared.— Jabu Mahlangu, spokesperson for Sanco
Click on the link below to hear that conversation...