'33 people have died and the top killers are gold mines'
The Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) along with National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) are holding a protest outside the Chamber of Mines.
They are demanding action against what they call deteriorating safety standards in the mining industry.
This follows the recent deaths of mine workers, which unions say have become a growing trend.
In a statement, NUM said more than 33 people had been killed in the mining sector since the start of the year.
Speaking to Ray White on The Midday Report, NUM president Piet Matosa said their view is that companies are prioritising profit over spending money to insure that mine workers are safe.
To date, this year 33 people have died and the top killers are gold mines amongst them are Harmony and Sibanye Gold Mine.Piet Matosa, NUM President
Actions suggest that mine bosses are not worried about the safety of the mine workers underground.Piet Matosa, NUM President
He added that they would like to sit down with the Chamber of Mines to discuss mine safety.
Ray White also spoke to Head of Safety and Sustainable Development at the Chamber of Mines Sizwe Phakathi who said, just like all the stakeholders, they are equally concerned about ensuring that employees' safety is a priority for all.
If you look at the kind of investment that we have made in containing the seismic events in the past, we have made some great strides in that area. I can show you with the numbers we have managed to reduce as far as fatalities are concerned.Sizwe Phakathi, Head of Safety and Sustainable Development at the Chamber of Mines
In 2003 he says, it stood at 48 seismic related fatalities and that was reduced to three in 2017, seven in 2016.
We had a spike last year which related to 14 fatalities, and last week we saw another incidence at Sibanye Gold Mine.Sizwe Phakathi, Head of Safety and Sustainable Development at the Chamber of Mines
Listen below to the NUM interview:
Also listen to the reply by The Chamber of Mines:
The minister was set to give an update on Sunday evening after meeting unions and organisations who wanted re-opening delayed.Read More
On World No Tobacco Day, Minister Zweli Mkhize is set to host a virtual meeting amid court action over continued tobacco sale ban.Read More
The minister's lawyer Tebogo Malatji reflects on the courts ruling on the so called Sars rogue unit report.Read More
The sale of tobacco will continue to be prohibited under lockdown Level 3.Read More
She says even though it has been a painful journey to get to where she is, she always served SA to the best of her ability.Read More
Eyewitness News reporter Kgomotso Modise gives details of EFF virtual press conference.Read More
Cardiologist Dr. Konstantinos Farsalinos says clinical observations show very few smokers are hospitilised for the virus.Read More
CEO Wayne Duvenage reflects on Judge Ronel Tolmay ruling against the former SAA chairperson.Read More
Journalist Aisha Abdool Karim says the Cuban medical school curriculum is in line with the South African programme.Read More
Restaurant Association Of South Africa CEO Wendy Alberts says her industry can't continue to operate under restrictive conditions.Read More