Scopa to subpoena Pearl Bhengu over Sassa expenditure
Democratic Alliance Member of Parliament Timothy Brauteseth says the amounts spent on the supposed educational events hosted by Sassa are suspicious.
Speaking to Ray White on The Midday Report, Brauteseth says all the amounts were below the R500 000 threshold, therefore, they didn't have to go through the tender process.
We want to actually subpoena Pearl Bhengu to come and appear in front of Scopa to answer all these questions.Timothy Brauteseth, DA MP
There were five events requested to the total of R20 million and only three took place. On a parliamentary reply, we got the breakdown of the expenditure and it was astronomical.Timothy Brauteseth, DA MP
Marquee: R485 000— Vezuchiy Fanashnikov (@fanamokoena) May 23, 2018
Flooring: R482 000
Chairs & Decor: R487 000
Catering: R493 000
Transport: R493 000
Sound: R492 000
Gifts: R480 000
When you want to quote everything R500 000 but you realize it will look suspicious. So thumb suck it just under #SASSA #BathabileDlamini #1Event
Brauteseth says top SASSA officials were in parliament on Tuesday to answer the question except for the one person who could be accountable for these events. He says the former SASSA CEO said she was not feeling well.
The question that needs to be answered is that, what were the events for? They were touted as being educational in terms of the new SASSA-Sapo cards that will come out but they were five months premature because they are still working on the cards.Timothy Brauteseth, DA MP
Listen what else the money was spent for...
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
Today marks 64 years since the heroic 1956 Women’s March to the Union Buildings against draconian pass laws and their impact on women.Read More
There were 36,607 new tests conducted. The number of tests conducted to date is 3.220,265 with 535,188 confirmed cases.Read More
According to a statement from his family, the 91-year-old veteran politician is currently self-isolating at home and remains asymptomatic.Read More
National Consumer Commission director of prosecutions Joseph Selolo says you can't be naive or claim to be duped.Read More
Baroka and Bloem Celtic will be part of South African football history when they play the first professional game of football in the country since the COVID-19 lockdown began.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
The justice minister says three bills aimed at eradicating gender-based violence are making their way to Parliament.Read More
Premier David Makhura said that the unit has also identified enablers of corruption in the provincial health department.Read More