The sentencing proceedings for convicted murderer Henri van Breda continued on Tuesday in the Western Cape High Court.
Van Breda was convicted last month for killing his parents and older brother, and seriously injuring his younger sister at their Stellenbosch home in 2015.
EWN reporter Monique Mortlock says the proceedings started with van Breda's lawyer giving report from the institution where he's been receiving pre-sentencing counseling.
The report basically states that although van Breda has been non-responsive in the courts he was very emotional during this counselling sessions, especially when he talks about his family and what he has lost...— Monique Mortlock, EWN reporter
The defence argued that the court needs to take into account that van Breda was 20-years-old when the murder happened and that he is a first time offender.— Monique Mortlock, EWN reporter
Mortlock says both the defence and the prosecution received a report that van Breda attempted suicide at Pollsmoor Prison.
Prosecutor Susan Galloway argued that the same sentencing he is going to receive for the three counts of murder should be given for the fourth count which is the attempted murder of his sister based on the severity of her injuries, therefore he should receive a harsh sentence for that.— Monique Mortlock, EWN reporter
To hear the rest of the report with Monique Mortlock, listen below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Prosecution calls on harsher sentencing for convicted murderer Van Breda