Streaming issues? Report here
190703refiloe013jpg 190703refiloe013jpg
Weekend Breakfast with Refiloe Mpakanyane
06:00 - 10:00
volume_up
volume_mute

Up Next: Soulful Sundays with Kenny Maistry
See full line-up
Weekend Breakfast with Refiloe Mpakanyane
06:00 - 10:00
Home
arrow_forward
Local

Two killed in mosque attack in Malmesbury

14 June 2018 7:15 AM
Tags:
SAPS
Malmesbury
mosque attack
Muslim Judicial Council MJC
Malmesbury mosque attack

The Muslim Judicial Council has confirmed this morning’s incident in which two people were killed.

CAPE TOWN/LENASIA - Two people have been killed and another injured in an attack on a mosque in Malmesbury, in the Western Cape.

Provincial detectives are combing a crime scene for clues. Police say they were called out to the local mosque and found two people had been killed. The suspect has also been killed.

The police's Noloyiso Rwexana says the motive behind the incident is unknown.

"The suspect, believed to be in his thirties and armed with a knife, was still on the scene. He charged at the police who tried to persuade him to hand himself over. However, he ignored the calls and tried to attack police."

It's understood the Independent Police Investigative Directorate will be investigating the suspect's death.

The Muslim Judicial Council says it is shocked following the attack.

The organisation's Mishkah Daries says: “The Muslim Judicial Council is shocked to its core to learn of a brutal attack at the Malmesbury mosque during the early hours of this morning. We can confirm two people were killed.

Imraan Mukaddam spoke to CapeTalk following the incident. He is a relative of one of the worshippers who was killed.

“One of the people spending time in the mosque went berserk and something happened. The deceased’s throat was slit… that’s as much as I can say now.”

LISTEN: Details emerge of Malmesbury mosque attack

This attack comes a month after a separate incident on a mosque in Verulam, KwaZulu-Natal. Three unknown men stormed the place of worship, killing one person and injuring two others.

Investigations have been underway since the attack on the Imam Husain Mosque.

(Edited by Shimoney Regter)


This article first appeared on EWN : Two killed in mosque attack in Malmesbury


14 June 2018 7:15 AM
Tags:
SAPS
Malmesbury
mosque attack
Muslim Judicial Council MJC
Malmesbury mosque attack

Recommended

More from Local

Alex COVID-19 testing

UPDATE: Gauteng recoveries reach 29,038

11 July 2020 11:04 PM

The number of national recoveries so far is 127,715. The total number of tests conducted to date is 2.108,570.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Light bulb against dark background, electricity, load shedding. Image: Pexels.

Eskom: Load shedding to resume on Sunday

11 July 2020 6:37 PM

The state-owned power utility said stage 2 load shedding will resume at 8 am on Sunday until 10 pm.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

200711zuurbekomgif

Police now able to probe fatal hostage scene at Zuurbekom church

11 July 2020 4:30 PM

This after a crowd of congregants were ordered to disperse.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

drugsjpg

PE man (35) arrested for possession of mandrax tablets worth over R750k

11 July 2020 4:18 PM

An intelligence-driven operation conducted this week, led police to a house in Phuku Street.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

200227-david-maynier-edjpg

MEC Maynier criticises Presidency for ‘flip-flopping’ on tourism industry rules

11 July 2020 3:40 PM

In a tweet late on Friday night, the Presidency confirmed accommodation for leisure is open for travel within provinces was allowed.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Restaurant with spaced table for Covid-19 social distancing

Load shedding yet another blow for struggling SA businesses

11 July 2020 2:19 PM

Eskom is implementing stage two load shedding for a second day, while technicians work to bring generating units back online.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

200711weaponsgif

Gauteng hostage situation: Church members released, more arrests

11 July 2020 2:00 PM

It’s alleged ongoing conflict to succeed the leader of the church in Zuurbekom turned bloody when congregates allegedly attacked people who were inside, indicating that they were coming to take over the premises.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

Covid-19 coronavirus testing 123rf

[LISTEN] Three senior Gauteng education department officials die of COVID-19

10 July 2020 5:22 PM

Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi shared an update on the impact of the outbreak on his department on Friday.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

aka-chats-about-music-personal-growth-and-lockdown-with-zwelipng

'Stay safe' warns AKA as he reveals he has coronavirus

10 July 2020 3:46 PM

The rapper urged South Africans to adhere to social distancing guidelines and to wear their masks.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward

bandilejpg

My parents have recovered from COVID-19 - Brent Lindeque spreads the GOOD NEWS!

10 July 2020 2:07 PM

Good Things Guy founder Brent Lindeque says people tend not to focus on the number of COVID-19 recoveries that keeps going up.

Share this:
Read More arrow_forward