Residents of Alexandra Township have been left homeless after a fire raised more than 20 shacks last night.
It’s believed the blaze started after a resident left an open fire unattended during the cold snap.
We spoke to some of the residents who lost everything. Word on the ground is that there was a small group of people who tried to stay warm with an open fire until the early hours of the morning and they left the fire unattended and went to bed.— Mia Lindeque, EWN reporter
Some of the shacks caught fire and it spread because it was a bit windy and in the morning at about 2 am, women and men, woke up to the sound of fire roaring though that part of the community.— Mia Lindeque, EWN reporter
Fortunately, no one was injured but the impact of this has been devastating.— Mia Lindeque, EWN reporter
READ: Oh snap! It's cold...
City of Johannesburg disaster team is currently on the scene collecting information of those who have been affected.
Meanwhile, Cape Town Emergencies spokesperson Theo Layne says most of the fires are caused by the cold and children coming in contact with fire.
At around 1 o'clock this morning we had four informal structures at the back of a formal dwelling that had burnt.— Theo Layne, Cape Town Emergencies spokesperson
As a result of the fire, one adult female sustained fatal burns.— Theo Layne, Cape Town Emergencies spokesperson
Yesterday we also had one fatality in Hout Bay where we had a six-month-old baby die in a fire.— Theo Layne, Cape Town Emergencies spokesperson
Listen to the full interviews below: