SA women have nothing to celebrate this women's month - activist
The #TotalShutDown marches in South Africa are currently underway in different provinces, with women standing against Gender-Based Violence.
Spokesperson for Western Cape Total Shutdown, Nozi Samela says this women's month women in South Africa have nothing to celebrate because they are continually persecuted.
She says women in Cape Town have come out in their numbers to support the march. The numbers are much more than they have anticipated.
She explains the reasons why men were excluded from the march.
The reason why we excluded men from this march is because most of these crimes are perpetrated by men.Nozi Samela, Spokesperson for Western Cape Total Shutdown
We have been waiting and hoping that our brothers will come out and stand up for us and say not in my name but we haven't seen that.Nozi Samela, Spokesperson for Western Cape Total Shutdown
Now as women we said to ourselves we are going to take matters into our hands and we are going to march for ourselves, by ourselves. Imagine if we were marching with the men, how will we know who is the rapist among, them, how will we know who amongst them is out on parole for victimising women...Nozi Samela, Spokesperson for Western Cape Total Shutdown
As we commence #WomensMonth, Let’s support the call for action against gender based violence. Violence is a major thief of women’s freedom and ability to live a decent life #TotalShutDown #TheTotalShutDown https://t.co/bnDEmadnyp— Prof Thuli Madonsela (@ThuliMadonsela3) August 1, 2018
To hear the rest of the conversation with Nozi Samela, listen below:
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : SA women have nothing to celebrate this women's month - activist
Mlamleli was ousted during a special council meeting on Friday night through a motion of no confidence brought by the Freedom Front Plus.Read More
The Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation says the fact that SA's coronavirus defences have been looted is not a big surprise.Read More
Mamabolo has admitted that last month his interview with Ngoako Malatji deteriorated, leading to him to utter profanities unbefitting of a public representative.Read More
Following a cabinet meeting, Winde said that the province had sufficient health capability to manage COVID-19 patients.Read More
Last year, the former president tweeted that former tourism minister Derek Hanekom was "a known enemy agent".Read More
According to the Presidency, John Nkadimeng passed away on 6 August 2020 at the age of 93.Read More
Bruce Whitfield interviews Whitey Basson, who believes it's just not good enough for govt to say ban will be lifted but not when.Read More
The minister said the inter-ministerial committee, appointed by President Cyril Ramaphosa, was an entity with teeth that would act against those found to be looting from COVID-19 related projects.Read More
Minister of Justice and Correctional Services Ronald Lamola briefs media on the outcomes of the Cabinet Meeting of 5 August 2020.Read More
Naledi Pandor's spokesperson Lunga Ngqengelele says the minister has been in conversation with Zimbabwean officials on the matter.Read More