Chris Hani's killer, Janusz Walus, has appeared in court again as part of his third bid to be granted parole.
The convicted killer arrived at the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria on Tuesday.
Walus‚ and Clive Derby-Lewis were convicted of shooting and killed Hani in the driveway of his home in Boksburg in 1993.
This is in actual fact not an application for parole but rather a review of Michael Masthua's decision to deny his application for parole last year. His lawyers believe the minister was 'irrational' and 'unreasonable' in the decision.— Barry Bateman, EWN reporter
They refer to numerous correspondence between him and Dipho Hani to him showing remorse.— Barry Bateman, EWN reporter
Waluz's lawyers say the Minister's suggestion that he needs to undergo further rehabilitation or vocational training in order to better reintegrate in society does not stand up.
They say, he's a 63 year old man, with training as a truck driver and he's also been offered employment if he is released.— Barry Bateman, EWN reporter
He has said that if he is released on parole his is quite happy to be released to Poland.— Barry Bateman, EWN reporter
Bateman says instead of reverting the case back to Michael Masutha, Walus's lawyers are asking the court to apply the same test of reasonableness and proportionality to replace the minister's decision with one by the court.
Listen to the full interview below
This article first appeared on CapeTalk : Janusz Walus lawyers deny the convicted killer still poses a risk to society