Academic programmes suspended at TUT as election rigging violence erupts
Disturbing developments have emerged from the Tshwane University of Technology (TUT) Soshanguve campus overnight.
One person was killed after students claimed that the process for the new Student Representative Council (SRC) vote had been rigged.
Ipid is now investigating the shooting.
Speaking to Clement Manyathela on The Midday Report, EWN reporter Pilane Phakgadi says the situation at the campus is calmer.
Student leaders have come and mobilised students in an area and talked to them.Pilane Phakgadi, EWN reporter
They say they do not want more casualties, he says.
Because there were already ideas that they wanted to march to the police station where they were going to protest until the police officer who was allegedly involved in the killing of their fellow student is arrested.Pilane Phakgadi, EWN reporter
He adds that the student leaders calmed them down and asked them to go to their rooms while they went into a meeting to try and find a solution.
He says even though there is calm, no academic programmes are running at the campus today as the students say they should be left to mourn the death of a fellow student.
Manyathela also spoke to TUT spokesperson Willa De Ruyter who says the university has launched a full-scale investigation into what transpired yesterday.
We will support the police and Ipid on their investigations as well. And it was also decided this morning to suspend the activities at the Soshanguve north and south campuses.Willa De Ruyter, TUT spokesperson
To allow the situation to calm down, we will monitor the situation throughout the day and also throughout the weekend.Willa De Ruyter, TUT spokesperson
Listen below to the full interview:
The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews columnist Tom Eaton about his new book, "Is it me, or is it getting hot in here?"Read More
The Money Show’s Bruce Whitfield interviews Kevin Lings, Chief Economist at Stanlib Asset Management.Read More
Bruce Whitfield talks to amaBhungane investigative journalist Dewald van Rensburg, who extensively interviewed Matodzi.Read More
Spokesperson Thabo Masebe says the province needs assistance in making sure that people comply with COVID-19 regulations.Read More
Even though Section 27 has taken the department to court for pupils not being fed, the department says the scheme is working.Read More
Stakeholder and communications head Kaizer Kganyago unpacks how his unit will handle this investigation.Read More
The auditor-general says people need to act in curbing irregular expenditure shown in municipal audits.Read More
The Presidency says that it will be a public platform to address all the questions on issues and challenges currently facing society.Read More
Metrorail said the trial trips would stress-test operational plans which need to comply with COVID-19 regulations.Read More
Oxfam SA inequality programmes manager Dr Basani Baloyi says a there is a shortage of critical medical supplies and understaffing.Read More
There were 111 new COVID-19 deaths: 50 from Gauteng; 35 from the Western Cape; 17 from Limpopo and 9 from the Eastern Cape.Read More
Joanne Joseph spoke to Cipla South Africa CEO Paul Miller to find out more.Read More
The Save Our SABC Coalition says the public broadcaster must look at other measures before retrenching staff.Read More
Solidarity union says a lack of communication from the Department of Social Development forced it to take this matter to court.Read More
Philip Truter was granted R50,000 bail in the Palm Ridge Commercial Crimes Court earlier on Monday, after saying he was unemployed and could not get a job.Read More
Veteran actress Lillian Dube says Mary Twala was professional, down to earth and respected people - young and old - the same way.Read More
The ANC said Mashatile will isolate for 14 days so his health can be monitored.Read More
He and his mutual bank co-accused face charges including racketeering, theft, fraud and corruption.Read More
Wits University emeritus professor of critical care Guy Richards says SA is running into a crisis as the virus peak approaches.Read More
Health Minister Zweli Mkhize said that the national coronavirus command council would evaluate whether Gauteng needed to go back to a hard lockdown.Read More